Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVI_IO causes page fault/illegal operation

CrispuloV:
    Actually, the heat is the primary culprit here. 53C is VERY hot in my experience for an overclocked Celeron. That's usually BEYOND the point where my overclocked Celeron 366 -> 550 (s) locks up. And keep in mind my thermal sensors are actually touching the die of the Celeron.
    If you want to, you can try this in VirtualDub instead and see what happens (it has simular capture abilities)... but this really sounds like it could be e heat issue.

There are so many components that have to take the strain when you overclock. When you reach the limit, its hard to tell which one isn't holding up. But I have to agree that the temperature is on the high side. I don't know your motherboard, but you could have more than one sensor available to you. There is one in the CPU itself, and as many as two more may be on the motherboard. If you download Motherboard Monitor (MBM) you can keep tabs on all the sensors. Intel specs that the air entering the Celeron's heatsink shouldn't exceed 45C, and if you're using a motherboard-mounted sensor, then you have gone beyond that. I replaced my Intel heatsink with the Mega7 by TennMax and I'm extremely happy. Under full load, the CPU is only 2-3 C higher than the MB sensor which is between the socket1 and the chipset. I run a Celeron 466 at 545 MHz in an IWill Slocket II and am perfectly stable (as long as I don't let the Power Management in Win98 get involved). At full load (QuakeII) the CPU peaks at 39C. I may eventually try going higher, but I throttled back while troubleshooting intermittent inability to come out of standby, before I discovered that power management is not reliable. Turning it off completely got me stable. Maybe someday I'll figure out if there's settings which make it work, but for now I just marvel at how many permutations there are between the BIOS and Windows, and I have bigger fish to fry than that for now.

Anyway, the motherboard, RAM, and all the peripherals have to want to play at higher speed, so you have to decide how much you like swapping components and upgrading the machine, or if you can just throttle back a bit until its stable, or bail and put together a new system. Yours sounds too new to consider that, but money can buy time even in this case. I bought an MSI 6163Pro motherboard and PC133 CAS2 RAM because I knew I'd overclock and wanted to maximize my chances of success. So far its paid off, I'm getting the kind of performance I had hoped for, and I'm not done experimenting yet! Plus I can always upgrade the CPU when the PIII Coppermines come down to Celeron prices.

My MSI board came with a remote sensor which I could put on the Marvel G400 chip to see how it responds. So far, I haven't read about anyone needing cooling on that, but I could monitor it just for the fun of it.

So now hopefully you have some ideas, or maybe my rambling is no help at all, let us know.
    Jeffrey Blankenship

Comment

AVI_IO causes page fault/illegal operation

I have a Marvel G-400 and was trying out the MPEG4-V2 compression and YUY2 hack available through the forums. The MJPEG captures were too large. I downloaded the AVI-IO trial and used to make some trial captures. The captures at 352x240 at the default bitrate of 3000 Kb/s and 75% crispness were blocky though the files were satisfyingly small. I tried increasing the bitrate to 5000 and overclocking my Celeron 400 to 540 Mhz. The capture quality is a lot better but after a while, (sometimes an hour, sometimes 3 minutes of capture) I get a blue screen and an error message "AVI-IO has caused a page fault ...blah, blah, blah". I have not been able to recover from this and have always had to reset the PC. The files being captured have not been usable at all.

I have a feeling my processor is too slow for this work. I would want to try for higher bitrates but can't. Any tips or troubleshooting suggestions?
      I don't think I am overheating. I have 3 aux case fans plus the PS fan. My temp monitor does not go over 53Celcius. Frame drops in AVI-IO stay within the regular 1 per 1000 frames. If I use MSP6 to capture, there are no dropped frames at all.

System is Celeron 400 on Soyo 6BA+III, Marvel 400, Powerdesk 5.30, Vidtools 1.51.024, 64 Mb RAM, 175 Mb fixed swap on C: 2 GB Windows 95b partition, D: 13Gb capture partition. Single Maxtor DM6800+ 20.4Gb drive.

Will sure appreciate your comments.

Comment

Hi, I really am sorry for not being able to reply right away. Lot's of things came up and I could not get on the Net for a day and a half.
        I am surprised that it could be the temp but, yes it could be that. The reason I thought otherwise is that the Celeron is rated by Intel up to 80 deg C. so I thought anything less than 60C would be safe. Anyway, my Soyo mobo reads off the processor's on-die sensor diode and I use Hardware Monitor. The system temperature read off the Winbond chip does not exceed 38C.
        Anyway, I accidentally captured at 15 frames/sec and the system held up for the hour and half required. The results weren't bad. I only overclock to 540Mhz when capturing. And my PCI bus is at down to 30Mhz and my AGP is at underclocked to 60Mhz when I run at 540 Mhz. So it's essentially just the processor which is overclocked.
        I have a more powerful CPU cooler on order, maybe that will make things better.
        Thanks again.

Comment

INTEL has always said that their cpu's can be used as "Frying-pans"
          CPU's tend to like it when the temp is belowe 40Degre celcius

------------------
          INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
          G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
          SBlive
          256 MB RAM CAS2
          43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
          Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
          SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
          X