Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what this?

Suddenly in my systray in win2k an icon called Display removeable
    storage requests has appeared. What is it and how do I remove it.
    It ain't in the startup folder.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

You mean THIS on my desktop and system tray?
    In my case it refers to my USB CD-RW. W2K must be misdetecting some USB device or expansion card you have in your machine.
    Attached Files

Comment

No it didn't look like that anyway it's now disappeared again.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Ehm... Did you try messing with the icon (clicking, double-clicking it)?
        I recall having something like that when my DVD-drive broke down. Sometimes the drive initialized and sometimes it didn't, sometimes it "left the building" when Win2K was running -> there was some sort of removable storage icon displayed on the taskbar, probably 'cause Win2K thought that as it had suddenly vanished it must be a removable drive...
        Last edited by Tempest; 2 December 2001, 00:08.

Comment

I did click on it so I could have some clue of it's orgin. Like having a look at the help and about but there wasn't a help button. All the Cd drives were working as was the floppy and I don't have a zip drive. Next time I'll do a print screen and post the pic but I was in a hurry had to go out.
          At the moment I'm blaming Creative as I had just updated the sblive software and was wondering whether it was to do with the Creative Cd player software.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The icon is the same as the one displayed in the hardware profile manager (control panel | system | hardware, bottom icon).

I sometimes get this message as well, often when my computer boots with no zip drive attached (when this zipdrive was attached previously), yet sometimes I also get this message with the zip attached (in the latter case, the zipdrive does not work, and I have to reboot !).

The proper use for this tool is when working with hot swappable devices (e.g. with laptops computers). I don't know why it is displayed in my case (powering down the zip while windows is running does not cause this). Personally, I think it is some small glitch in Windows, supposed to go off if certain hardware has changed (drives, PCMCIA cards), but being activated without proper cause.

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I forgot to mention : the hotswappable devices need to be stopped before they are removed; the os might otherwise become confused when the hardware is no longer present...
              pixar

Comment

Oh, still forgot : I think right clicking it provides to possibility to turn it of....
                pixar

Comment

Working...
                X