G400 and Wolfenstien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 and Wolfenstien

Apparently there is a problem with the G400 and volumetric fog(or something) in Return to Castle Wolfenstien. Here is a quote from ID software that Apache and the boys over at VE3D.com found.

"We had issues with fog working properly on the Matrox cards with gl_extension on. Matrox has been great about this and is revising their drivers to better support Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Matrox users should expect a good performance improvement on Wolf single and multiplayer when this is released."

The part I like is the part about improved performance. It is already pretty good on my setup. Course I am using older drivers.
    AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

I cannot even enable gl_extension... propably due to my old drivers.... I wonder if it would give me more fps if I could enable it.

I'd like a little more performance too... especially in those levels 5 part *... some places are lagging a lot.

Spazm
    Last edited by spazm_1999; 1 December 2001, 18:13.
    P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

guess we gotta wait for the big "M" to give it up

Comment

I've got a similar problem with my G400, i can't enable GL_Extensions in the Wolfenstien system setting. I've got a G400 marvel running icd 1.1.3 (Feb22) on Win2K.
        Anyone else seen this?
        Last edited by Orinoko; 3 December 2001, 13:56.

Comment

Tried playing this weekend and it kept locking up with my G400/win2k with latest drivers.

amish
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Originally posted by spazm_1999
            I cannot even enable gl_extension... propably due to my old drivers.... I wonder if it would give me more fps if I could enable it.

I'd like a little more performance too... especially in those levels 5 part *... some places are lagging a lot.

Spazm
            You're right performance is terrible sometimes I even switch to 640*480 to get some decent frame rates.
            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

yup, I've tweaked settings to medium/low detail (800x600, 16bit, vertex, everything else set to medium), and framerates are generally quite good, but there are certain levels/scenes where the fps drop to below 20 or even 10

GL Extensions can't be enabled here either. Though I haven't seen any stability problems.

Comment

I seem to have solved the locking up on my setup although GL extensions still don't enable, i've used the icd from the latest win98 drivers (dated 30/8 I think, extract it using winzip into winnt/system32) and i've downed the sound quality to 11Mhz or whatever the other setting is. Now it seems to work fine, and I've been playing for an hour or so, except when you alt-tab back and forth to windows the textures get messed up but I can live with that!

I'd play longer but I don't wanna have nightmares tonight!!
                Last edited by Orinoko; 3 December 2001, 16:14.

Comment

Orinoko : When u'll be in Level 6 part 2 tell me how's the frame rate. I'm using drivers ver. 5.33 for w2k and on that level it was totally unplayable at 800*600 I had to lower to 640*480 with low on almost everything to get a decent frame rate. If w98 drivers are faster I might update mine.

btw. the boss at the end of Wolfenstein is IMHO far too easy.... I've been deceived by that.

Spazm
                  P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

Okay, will do.... when I eventually get there!

Comment

Should'nt bee too long... it took me a little less than 7h to complete the game. Now i'm starting Codename : Outbeak and Commanche 4. Commanche 4 is totally unplayable on my pc way too slow even with 640*480*16 with low tex.

Spazm

Comment

Yeah, it crawls on my G400MAX unless I set to 800x600 with medium or low quality detail settings. And I've got a 1.4GHz Athlon, so its most certainly not the cpu thats too slow.
                        And yeah, the gl extensions either crash or jsut don't work on mine too.

Runs incredible on an Athlon 1.2gig with a radeon 8500 at work.

Comment

Oh well, i guess i'm never gonna find out whether the G400 is up to it. I've bit the bullet and bought a GeForce 3 Ti 200. Sorry to all you Matrox commited, but i might have been commited once but since they f*ucked us about with the win2k drivers on the Marvel I shall look elsewhere.
                          I guess that I've just had too many speed problems with the G400 recently, so i've given myself a early xmas present. I just hope that the 2D quality is up to scratch. I also reckon i'm gonna need a new DVD player because at the minute all I use is the g400 tv-out which has given great quality.... pity you can't have two AGP slots in a PC (or can you?)

Anyways, i'll let you know what I think when it is delivered tomorrow!!

Comment

pls do Orinoko, that is the card I have been looking at lately. I hear that the Leadtek cards have better 2d quality than the rest of em?

Comment

Working...
                            X