Film Critics :p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film Critics :p

Is it just me? Am I the only one that thinks it's a film critics job to hate all new movies? And why don't American's like watching something that is new, interesting and innovative, especially if it's from another country?

My main recent pet peeve, Monster Inc. 95% of all film critics thought the humor was too childish and that no adult would laugh at this movie. I saw it with 7 friends, none of which have any children. There were tons of people who were there watching it without kids. Everyone loved it! The movie was great! It was hilarious! I mean, come on, it was voiced by Billy Crystal and John Goodman and done by Pixar who hasn't made a bad movie yet. The animated short in the begining was worth the price of admission alone.

And then there's all the foriegn movies reaching US shores. Princess Mononoke, made by world renowned animation master Hayo Miyazaki. This was by far one of the coolest animated features of all time. The US studio kind of released it in a few theaters...kind of advertised a little...put it in a test market that they knew it would fail in...and then said anime sucks because it didn't make them a ton of money. Iron Monkey was an incredible Hong Kong action movie. Key word being ACTION movie. So they market it like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and expect it to make a ton of money. CT, HD was more of an art movie with action in it, than IM, which is an action movie through and through. IM didn't make a ton of money so Hk action movies suck. And Hollywood is once again cursed with making fight scenes in the traditional US crap style of close ups and quick choppy action to compensate for the fact that American's can't fight without a gun.

It just seems that most people in the US are addicted to the same old crap and aren't daring enough to watch anything new and interesting. "I don't wanna watch it because it's subtitled," Bah Humbug I say. Go watch your formulaic Jerry Bruckenheimer garbage or stupid 1950's remake, I'm going to go watch a real film.

Jammrock
    Last edited by Jammrock; 30 November 2001, 10:07.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Rule #1 of being a film critic:

Be deprecating to all films.

Rule #2 of being a film critic:

The director is more important than the film.

Rule #3 of being a film critic:

If it's lowbrow, it must suck.

Etc, etc.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

When a movie differs from the book it was made after it gets flak!

when a movie folows the book it hets flak!

Every movie that gets sawed off by critics is worth a look...

Critics seems to have forgotten that "critic" is not strictly a negative word!!

There are positive critic there are negativi critic!
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

My favorite are Lynch films

One of my favorite Quotes.. haha. omg.. used to do this one drunk of my ass..

omg.. i couldn't remember the quote so i had to find it.. 45 minute journey into the unknown..

"My Dog barks sometimes..

ok more like 3 freakin hours and it hasnt gotten me anywherel zdfldsklfjsdkjfslkdfj aarrggggggggggg
        www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

IMHO movie critics fall into 3 catagories;

1. Those who are studio shills (most)

2. Those who haven't a clue about what the public likes (most of the rest)

3. Those who don't like ANYTHING!! (the remainder)

That said these are my favorite directors;

Alfred Hitchcock
          Akira Kurosawa
          David Lynch
          Federico Fellini
          Francis Ford Coppola
          James L. Brooks
          Martin Scorsese
          Peter Weir
          Stanley Kubrick
          Steven Spielberg
          Woody Allen

and one with tons of potential:

M. Night Shyamalan

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 November 2001, 22:13.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

jesus. like 4 hours later

ok .. just imagine being drunk.. and oh nevermind.. this is so not goin to be funny to anyone else... haha

OO Spool: My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me. WOOF!
            Last edited by Lizzard[MPE]; 1 December 2001, 11:53.
            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

I hardly ever read individual reviews, but I use www.rottentomatoes.com all the time. They usually have 60+ reviews per film, and will give the film a % rating of "good" reviews, and choice quotes from all reviews. You can follow their links to any full review.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Just saw Ghosts of Mars and I thought it was a crap (CRAP) movie. A bit ridiculous at some points, and almost good on others. The ending was awful.

Comment

Working...
                X