Monitor Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Problems

My monitor (see sig) seems to have a problem. Ever since I moved it (all of 4 or 5 feet) it flickers in parts and sometimes the whole monitor. Can anyone figure out why this happens? The only other thing I've done is add a 10" powered subwoofer about 6 feet away since then.

Thanks for any help.

dsp
    1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
    512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
    MSI 845PE FISR
    8.4GB Quantum CR
    40GB Maxtor 5400
    MSI 40X12X48
    Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
    SB Audigy
    Parhelia (210/600)
    19" Dell P991
    Win2kPro
    Intel Gigabit Network

Sounds like interference.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

4 questions...

Why not switch the sub off?

And did you have the monitor switched on while you moved it? Did you bash it at all whilst moving it? Does moving it back fix it?

P.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

It doesn't matter if the sub is off or on this still happens. I had the monitor switched off as I was moving it, yes.

Dave, what kind of interference?

dsp
        MSI 845PE FISR
        8.4GB Quantum CR
        40GB Maxtor 5400
        MSI 40X12X48
        Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
        SB Audigy
        Parhelia (210/600)
        19" Dell P991
        Win2kPro
        Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

Could be anything, flourescent lights, speakers, cb radio, etc...

Move it back 4-5 feet and see if that fixes the problem. IF it does, than it is probably intereference. If it doesn't, then it may be a hardware problem.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Maybe even move the sub first, to try to isolate the culprit. That thing has quite a magnet in it.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Speakers: the mortal enemy of monitors!

Monitors and speakers do not get along, it’s not about politics, but both technologies create magnetic fields that don’t always get along together.

Monitors use an Electro magnetic field to deflect the electron beam. Speakers, especially larger sub woofers, use a magnet to create sound. While a monitor is unlikely to bother the speaker, the speaker can wreak havoc on the monitor.

The magnetic interference caused by speakers can cause shaking, jitter or cause problems with color. It is best to keep speakers, and anything that creates a magnetic field, away from the monitor. In addition to speakers, you may want to check for electric fans, cellular phones, fluorescent lamps, air conditioners or anything with an electric motor.

Jim Witkowski
              Chief Hardware Engineer
              Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com
              Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

Comment

Well, most speakers nowadays are emg shielded, so this really should not be a problem.

My monitor did something similar and I found out it was because of an air conditioning unit that was positioned too close to the computer.
                Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

I disagree most speakers are not shielded. Metal particularly iron, or steel are not very good at shielding magnetic fields. In fact if you remember from your high school physics class. Simply running a coil of wire around them and introducing an electric current can magnetize iron and steel. Remember the nail coiled with wire attached to a battery experiment where you pick up paper clips. Aluminum or Copper also will not block magnetic fields.

The only way to shield magnetic fields is using an alloy called Mumetal. For more information on Mumetal

Jim Witkowski
                  Chief Hardware Engineer
                  Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com
                  Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

Comment

Hmm....

reminds me of when I moved into my new flat and set my
                    monitor up on the other side of a brick wall from the Microwave
                    oven in the kitchen.

With dinner cooking away on full power, using the monitor
                    was impossible because the whole image shimmered very
                    slightly and made my brain feel like it was being sucked through
                    a black hole - only slightly worse!

Moving the monitor to the other side of the room cured the
                    problem but it makes you wonder how many people are being
                    slow cooked by their microwave ovens.

- Simon

Comment

I don't think it's the power drain, Mike. I had a monitor that really noticed microwaves as well. Moving the monitor away from the microwave (while still being in the same power socket) would make noticeable differences. Microwaves are noisy beasts all across the spectrum, I bet.

As for slow-cooking, that's why I avoid cell-phones, and those 2.4 GHz cordless phones. I still use 900MHz phones. For $50 of electronics, drifting 2% from it's target frequency puts it right at 2.45GHz. Not a comfy thought.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

So Greebe, I should stay away from the 2.1ghz phones? I was gonna buy one as I llike to take my phone with me around the yard etc, and they are low priced now.

Also, I have a 900mhz phone that I use ALOT at work. It is on my belt. Should I be worried?

Back to the monitor. I had a wierd monitor thing earlier that was like what you describe. It turned out to be a bad cold solder joint that was fixed under warranty. Hope you get it worked out.
                        AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Well, since I use a 2.4GHz phone all the time at home I'll let you know if an@%$UBFBIUNFthing happens to m&%RGYFONFe....................I will get you!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

But honestly, I doubt there will be any problems

Dave

Comment

thanx for the advice Greebe. Will do. 900mhz spread spectrum.
                            AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Moving back to the topic... The monitor is in a room farther away from the only light source than it was previously, (apart from the sun) which is a just a two 60Watt light bulb ceiling light. The monitor is further away from its main power source as well. It is about 3 feet or 90cm from the sub while the case is even closer to the sub. Any other info needed please tell me as it is annoying. By the way the flicker starts at the lower right hand corner of the monitor while the lower left hand is closer to the sub.

dsp

Update: While writing this (the sub is completely off powerwise) its back, mostly a shimmering on the sides and corners.
                              Last edited by dsp; 29 November 2001, 22:17.
                              MSI 845PE FISR
                              8.4GB Quantum CR
                              40GB Maxtor 5400
                              MSI 40X12X48
                              Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
                              SB Audigy
                              Parhelia (210/600)
                              19" Dell P991
                              Win2kPro
                              Intel Gigabit Network