Whats up with Computer Game Pricing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats up with Computer Game Pricing??

Well in the past 6 months I've noticed that computer game prices have jumped at least $10 dollars. For the past couple years software has run anywhere from $30-45 dollars a game, which overall isnt that bad. Fast Foward to this month, I got Civ 3 for $49 bucks before taxes, which is a little steep considering that its not your lastest and greatest (and overhyped) 3D shooter. Return to Castle Wolfstein came out this past week and Remember seeing over at HardOCP that the MSRP for it was going to be $49.99. Well being armed with this info I figured I would pick it up while shopping at the local mall.

Well after going to 2 malls (which had 2 computer related software stores in each of them) plus CompUsa and BestBuy (both where washouts as they didn't have them in it) the prices I saw for the RTCW was a low of $55 bucks and high of $70(!) for limited edition can. One store even had the gaul to charge $59.99 for the normal boxed verison. Needless to say I didnt get it. Anyone else notice the notice the what seems to be the sudden increase in prices for Computer game software?

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Scott
    I have seen Civ 3 is reselling in shops in the UK for £34.99. I have also seen it available for between £23.99 at CostCO and £26.99 at a computer fair. Thats a price difference of approx £10 on the retail.

regards MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

I do find games very overpriced. That´s what keeps me from buying more games (not that I have too much time to play them, now that´s strange )

Yesterday I bough Alice under the E.A. classics seccion. For 14€, now that´s a fair and affordable price.

I suspect if they start selling games for pretty much the same as a good music cd (half or less than they cost now) they would more than duplicate the sales.
      Last edited by Nuno; 25 November 2001, 15:12.

Comment

Yep.. I wouldn't buy any game priced over $50.. I don't care how awesome it's supposed to be. Screw em.. if it's good I can buy it next year for $20.

Comment

It is even worse because of christmas.

I have seen so much stuff jacked up in price only to be put on sale (30% off or such) where the sale price is either equal to or still above the original retail that it makes me want to gag when I go shopping.

AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
          AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
          Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
          Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

strange i picked up civ3 for 49.99CAN$ (at radio shack)
            thats about 1.50 in real US dollars
            DFI NFIIUltra 400
            756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
            Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
            Windows XP pro
            msn messenger id: gchisel
            Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

Originally posted by mdhome
              Scott
              I have seen Civ 3 is reselling in shops in the UK for £34.99. I have also seen it available for between £23.99 at CostCO and £26.99 at a computer fair. Thats a price difference of approx £10 on the retail.

regards MD
              Thanks for the tipoff! I just picked up Civ3 from my local Costco

See you all in a few months!
              Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

See you all in a few months
                Let us know your opinions on the game.

regards MD
                Interests include:
                Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

I havent even taken it out of the box yet - I made the mistake of downloading a copy of SimCity2000 for Windows 9x - now I cant stop playing that either.

Too many great games, not enough of a life
                  Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I've been playing Civ3 for the past couple weeks...its alot like Civ2, but with some minor improvements and a graphics update. Best thing about it is that it kills the time off at work pretty good

Scott

Comment

Boy do I love shopping at times...well I goto the same mall again this past weekend into the same EBworld that was charging 60 bucks for RTCW..and what do I spy? Hmm price is down to $55 bucks and on top of that theres $10 gift card rebate attached to it! I guess they where gouging people on the thanksgiving holiday shopping trips..

Scott

Comment

I've been picking up games in the $15 rack lately. Now that I don't have net access at home, it was a great time to buy FF VII.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Very seldom do I buy games less than 6 months old. By waiting, the prices drop by at least half and enough patches have been released that the game plays better. I pick up so many good games at bargain prices, I don't even have time to load many of them.
                          Some recent good buys from the bargain bin: Dungoen Keeper 2 $10 (great game!), High Heat Baseball 2001 $19 (my kid's favorite game), Homeworld $15 (haven't loaded it yet), DeusEx $7, Giants $10 (haven't loaded it yet, but demo was fun), Sacrifice $10 (haven't loaded it yet). I did just pick up Ghost Recon which is a brand new game, but I got it for $27 and the demo was very impressive.
                          My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Wow, I wish I could get homeworld for $15. I played it on a friend's computer, and it was awesome. Giants cost me $15 or $25. It's a good game, but the first part was more fun than the 2nd or 3rd for me. And the later missions were almost too much for my MAX to handle.

And I'll admit to paying $35 for MW4. It didn't get any cheaper as time wore on unfortunately. And I bought the expansion pack when it came out ($30) so I could play online with friends (Which, if you're reading Dave, I beat).
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I need to get back on the campign trail and try to beat it. I got frustrated early on and haven't turned it back on yet. Congrats on beating it!

Dave
                              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X