Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad IBM hard drive or Running HD sideways?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad IBM hard drive or Running HD sideways?

I bought a Lian Li PC-60 aluminum case, and at the bottom of the case is a removable tray that fits 4 hard drives. Drives put into this section have to be run sideways, and the benefit is that internally there are 2 adjustable speed fans blowing at them.

I have been running 2 Western Digital WD400BB drives in RAID-0 sideways in this tray with no problem. Then, I put in an IBM 60GXP into this tray. It runs fine...as long as I do not touch the case. If I even touch the case gently, the drive starts clicking and I have to restart. I moved the drive back to a standard 3.5 bay in the case, and there is no longer an issue.

From what I understand, HD's should have no problem running on their side. Does anyone think there is a problem with the drive, the problem more noticeable when run sideways?

Thanks,

Terry
    WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
    Pentium 4 1.7 Abit TH7II-RAID
    HD (boot): Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60GB
    HD (RAID-0): WD WD400BB 80GB (2x40GB)
    Kingston 256MB 800MHZ RDRAM
    ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
    Hauppauge Wintv #401
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Agreed. It sounds more like an electrical issue, rather than a mechanical one. Try running the drive outside of the case, on some kind of insulator, and see if motion still causes the problem
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yes, I agree as well. For example, the new Dell Dimension 2100's mount 60GXPs with the connector side up (that is, vertically) against the front of the case, and it doesn't have any problems (I have worked with a few of them). My mom even bought a Dell with the drive and is as happy as a clam with her new (and relatively fast) system.
      P=I^2*R
      Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Sounds exactly as when I had a HDD conected to a bad 4pin connector!!
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Technoid wins this round!

My Power Supply has lots of extra 4 pin connectors, so I figured the easiest way to troubleshoot this was to try that first. I threw the disk back into the vertical tray, and plugged in a different connector. Mounted the disc on its other side, one space away from one of the Western Digital drives, I'm not sure if that had any effect on anything.

I can now go back to giving my PC an occassional kick without having to restart

Thanks for all suggestions/replies!

Terry
          WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
          Pentium 4 1.7 Abit TH7II-RAID
          HD (boot): Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60GB
          HD (RAID-0): WD WD400BB 80GB (2x40GB)
          Kingston 256MB 800MHZ RDRAM
          ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
          Hauppauge Wintv #401
          Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

Working...