Vid Capture in W2K works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vid Capture in W2K works

I dont know if this will work for everybody but this is what i did.

I installed PD for windows NT in windows 2000 then restarted the computer into vga mode.

Then I ran apcompat.exe as and installed NT Video Tools.

I can capture with no problems.
    And the quality is the same as NT.

Which version of PD for NT did you install? And how? Are there special tricks to do this, I remember triyng to install the NT PD 4.35 and it did not work for me (complete freezing during W2K bootup). Or do you mean that you install NT PD and now you can only boot in safe or VGA mode (from the F8 menu)?
    Thanks,
    Michka
    I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
    If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Actually i installed the drivers for the g400 for windows 2000, then i changed the driver in windows control pannel to the NT PD 4.35 ( i had already extraced then from the download.) At on point when it was looking for drivers it hung for a while so you might have to wait a bit.

I had to enter into safe mode with the f8 to install video tools. and now it boots as normal.

I userd video tools 1.52 for nt
      It has crashed on me once today, when i did not use the power button on the remote to close video tools.

Comment

Thanks tbrett, but no matter how I try to install PD 4.35, either it locks during install or it freezes during w2k bootup.
        Michka

Comment

how are you installing the driver, are you going through system properties in the control pannel.

if not here are the directions

in system properties click the hardware tab, then the device manager button.

expand the display adapters item and double clik on Matrox Marvel

then clik the driver tab, then update driver.

go through the wizard until asked what you want the wizard to do, select display a list.

then click on have disk and go the directory where you have extracted the PD drivers for NT4.0

from there it should all go normally.

If that does not work install the g400max drivers then repeat the above.

Comment

My biggest complaint so far on win2000 is many win9x apps crash on exit if you don't "do it right" Typically file->exit is fine but the close button on the menubar crashes.

No harm as far as I can tell. But still a PITA.

--wally.

Comment

tbrett, I tried installing from setup, from add hardware, from device manager, from display properties. And all this starting from the standard VGA drivers and also from the w2k drivers. No way I can install the NT 4 PD. It must have something to do either with ACPI or with another card in my system. It seems that the install freezes when trying to reserve the resources for the card. For example, the w2k add hardware wizard ends by enabling you to see or change the resources but if I choose to, it then tells me that no resources are necessary for this device. And of course during reboot, the computer freezes when starting the NT drivers.
              Michka

Comment

Tbrett, you said you ran apcompat.exe? what and where is that?

Comment

it its on the win2000 cd i think in the support folder, however i found my copy at
                  http://www.filesearch.ru/cgi-bin/s?q=apcompat&t=f

thats all one line.

Comment

tbrett,

When you say capture works are you talking about PC-VCR or some other app that uses the VfW vidcap driver like AVI_IO? Or both?

What about analog tape output and the powerdesk calibration sliders? When you play MJPEG AVIs does this analog output to tape work correctly? Can you adjust the tint, brightness, contrast, saturation etc. and have it stick across reboots? This is my number one need right now.

Appcompat is a good trick. Which service pak option did you pick for the install?

I had ACPI turned off in my BIOS before I installed windows 2000. Perhaps that's one reason I have had so few problems. ACPI is another plug and play like dodad of dubious value which is far from ready for prime time at its introduction that is being forced down our throats.

ACPI is on my other system that I've setup dual boot but I've disabled all power management features and so far its been problem free. Try disabling all power management in your BIOS and in win2000 control panel if you are having win2000 problems. DON'T alter the ACPI setting in your BIOS after you've installed win2000 -- this has a real good chance of hosing your system and forcing a re-format reinstall.

I'd like to know the exact sequence of events and the exact NT versions of PD and VT you installed. God knows the official win9x PD installer is totally unforgiving. This alone makes me loathe to try forcing the NT drivers onto win2000 without some guidance.

I've used appcompat to successfully install the NT drivers for my laser printer so its a good trick that needs to be more widely known.

Perhaps someone else who's had success will post a complete proceedure for us more timid folks.

--wally.

Comment

I am using PC-VCR, everything works contract sliders, compression ratios ect..

In apcompat i used nt service pack 5 and had the pre windows 2000 temp path checked.

I used the latest drivers from the matrox their site.

I am using a via mvp3 chipset on the motherboard, i don't know it that makes a difference though.

I am writing a detailed set of instructions and will post them soon, plus i would like to know if this works for anyone else.

Comment

Hi. I followed the instructions and I got everything working! It captures great except that it doesn't record sound. I know I have the correct capture settings. During the VT installation, the setup prog said unicode ATL.DLL cannot be installed on Win95". I wonder if this is what's preventing me from capturing sound. I'd really like to test my theory. Would it be possible for anyone who's got a working setup to send me a copy of ATL.dll? Thanks in advance!

K

Comment

"Other than that Ms Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

Hardly useful captures without audio!

Exactly what steps did you follow? I'm unclear on what the actual steps are, but I might give it a go if I had a good recipe as I'm finding win2000 to be robust enough that I'm getting downright bold in trying new things.

Did you check be sure your line-in on the mixer is not muted?

--wally.

Comment

I had no probel capturing the audio in w2000.

I got the dame dll error but it has not affected me in any way.

Comment

Steps: First, I installed the 4.35 NT 4 drivers. (go into display properties, upgrade driver, point to the 4.35 folder, "Are you sure you want to use this unsigned driver?--Yes my dear device manager). Reboot and hit F8 to go into VGA mode. Next, run apcompat.exe to trick the VT 1.52 setup program to run and install. I get the error I mentioned earlier as it installed. Once I rebooted, I can run VT & capture.

I'm certain I don't have the line-in volume muted. There's gotta be a way around this. The thought of installing Win98 again (I'm using NTFS already!) just to vidcap would suck so bad!

Anyway, in case it's relevant, my system is:
                              Dual Celeron 550 Mhz
                              Abit BP6
                              192 MB RAM
                              SBLive Value
                              Fasttrak33
                              Adaptec 2940 UW Controller
                              IBM U2W 9.1 GB
                              2 7.6 GB Maxtor IDE RAID

K.

Comment

Working...