I can't spell 'tomorrow', admits Blair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't spell 'tomorrow', admits Blair

BIRMINGHAM, England, Nov 23 (AFP) - Embarrassed by newspaper leaks, British Prime Minister Tony Blair came clean Friday over what his officials had spent the previous day trying to deny: he can't spell 'tomorrow'.

He admitted that he had incorrectly spelled the word tomorrow as toomorrow in a handwritten message to a Labour Party candidate in a by-election Thursday in Ipswich, eastern England.

Not just once, but three times. All gleefully reported in the press.

At first, Downing Street insisted it was just his handwriting that made it look as if the word had one 'o' too many.

"There was a very lame attempt from my press office to suggest that it was just my writing that was at fault, not my spelling," Blair admitted Friday, at the start of a keynote speech on Europe in Birmingham, central England.

But "I regret I have to put my hands up fully and say no, it was indeed my spelling that was at fault."

The prime minister said he decided to come clean after a journalist pointed out that he had been visiting a school Thursday and was delivering his speech Friday at a university so must feel "at home" at institutes of education.

Or perhaps it was after his former English master revealed Thursday to the BBC that while Blair had been an "obnoxiously bright" pupil at school, he had always had trouble with the word 'tomorrow'.

I see the press haven't got much to write about then. Blair should have said he's in good company with his bad spelling and at least can spell his name right.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I have something in common with PM Blair, I can't spell tomarrow either. But I can spell potatoe, though.

(If you miss the spud joke, ask former Vice President Dan Quayle)
      P=I^2*R
      Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Originally posted by PowerHungry
        (If you miss the spud joke, ask former Vice President Dan Quayle)

he will never live that down
        www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

hey, at least he admitted it openly and happily. He is secure enough for that. If one of the polititians in Canada had that come out, they would get the official spelling changed to reflect thier spelling and then they would not be wrong.

you think Im kidding don't ya.

Ok, I am, but ya never know.
          AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X