Win 2k and boot.ini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2k and boot.ini

How on earth do you get win 2k to create a new boot.ini????

I have both win 98 and 2k installed with win98 on the c-drive. I recently restored a cleanboot ghost of win98 that I had resulting in that ntldr, ntdetect and boot.ini was overwritten!

I have copied back the ntldr and ntdetect and installed a new mbr for winnt so that I can get 2k to boot. Now I just need to get the boot.ini created some how.

Since I have all drive on my IDE-RAID controller and the system partition on a RAID0 setup I actually don't know which drive/partition by number the 98 or 2k lies on! It's not as easy as 2nd partition at first drive at first ide channel....

I should have remeberd to make a rescue disk before this ghost process, but I tried making one afterwards but the rescue process didn't create the boot.ini for me...

It shouldn't be that hard to get this done, right? I'm a newbie with 2k...
    My system:
    | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
    homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Run the emergency repair disk, it will reinstal it(oh, you forgot to make an emergency repair disk ) then stick the CD back in and run setup. When it asks you if you want to repair the win2k install, do that.

Dave
    Last edited by Helevitia; 22 November 2001, 23:46.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Not that easy...

Been there done that, since I have no emergency disk I can't repair using that one. If I run setup as I tried yesterday and choose to repair the setup can't find the w2k, First I tried both fixmbr and fixboot from the console and the after I tried the repair. Maybe it's because of the missing boot.ini that the setup can't find w2k...

Is there no possibility when running w2k (since I can start it now) and run a command to create the boot.ini?
      My system:
      | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

Try this lindberg http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm
        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Bootpart

Yep. I've had the program on my hdd for quite a while now and I've played around with it witout further success.

But now I've got the boot.ini porb solved. Since I got w2k started I made an resque disk and after that ran install/recovery from the CD and then w2k installed a boot sector for only w2k. Then after that I booted a dos-disk with bootpart on it and added the win98 partition to boot.ini with the bootpart program.

Jeez it can really be tough with boot sectors screwed up..

At least I got it working even though it took a few days since I've been really busy and managed too sit in front of the computer about ½-hour/day...
          My system:

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

For future reference:

The 'Micky Mouse' way to create a new boot partition with a boot.ini is to go through the motions of reinstalling 2K again.
            When you get to the first reboot, throw in your DOS disk and your can then change the boot.ini using the installation settings, and then delete the temporary installation files.

I killed by boot partition a while back when i was setting up a tripple boot.

Hope it helps
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
            X