RT2000 & Marvel G200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT2000 & Marvel G200

Would it be possible to combine my RT2000 card with my "old" Marvel G200 ?

Now, this may seem an odd question, but I have been capturing analog video for 2 weeks now, to find out that I have 3 basic problems :
    1. audio synchronisation (sound is a few frames behind vision)
    2. out-of-sync frames (sporadically I get 2 or 3 frames which are "vertically shifted" or which seem to contain "noise")
    3. bad interlaced frames, giving 'jagged' lines (especially with moving objects)

I capture in MPEG2 (I-frames) using full-screen PAL with the SVHS connection of my SVHS-VCR. When I still had my previous Marvel G200, I had none of these problems when capturing in MJPEG (same source, same capture settings) !

Now, it would seem a bit silly to drop my RT2000 card (especially after having paid its price) BUT I work alot with analog video so I would want to revert to my Marvel-G200 for analog video capture.

The RT2000-card would then remain available for any digital DV captures (don't have any of them yet, this may change soon) and for realtime editing with Adobe Premiere.

Dropping the G400-Flex, I would lose the dualhead feature, but that's no issue to me.

Can I change the G400-Flex back to a Marvel-G200, and if so what should I be aware of ?

Hi there!

The simple answer is this: No, you cannot remove your G400 Flex and still use the RT2000. They are fully integrated, and both cards are ABSOLUTELY necessary for it to work.

As to the Marvel G200, well I'm guessing that the Marvel is AGP, which of course means that you couldn't have it AND your G400 Flex in the same box at the same time. However, if your Marvel was the PCI version, then you might be in luck, as I have no clue here, but it might be possible to use both the RT2000 and the Marvel G200 IF it was also a PCI as that would let you keep your G400 in the AGP slot.

I don't know how well this combination is supported by any system.

However, it sounds to me as if you're trying to use a much more difficult solution to a problem that might be able to be fixed. The RT2000 can completely support analog capture that shouldn't have any problem with the audio drift. So, maybe the question is not trying to find a workaround using the Marvel, but rather making the analog capture on the RT2000 work.

Read through a lot of the threads here, on the Unofficial site <a href="http://members.boardhost.com/mainstreet/">http://members.boardhost.com/mainstreet/</A>, and on the official discussion board <a href="http://forum.matrox.com/cgi-bin/rt2000/Ultimate.cgi">http://forum.matrox.com/cgi-bin/rt2000/Ultimate.cgi</A>, and I bet you'll find LOTS of people with your same problems, and hopefully, lots of people with the solutions you need.

Hope this helps!
    Matt

Comment

JTA,

Have you tried capturing your analog footage into DV format ? (you are not limited to just MPEG2 with analog).

Your system configuration ?

Pertti

Comment

Hello, Dayspring, thank you for your reply. You're right, the Marvel G200 _is_ AGP meaning that If I have to install it, the G400-Flex has to go.
        But I'll have a look at the information you pointed at, hopefully this can give me some clues to make things work. It's not the audio-part that bothers me (I can compensate for this easily), it's the out-of-sync frames and the noise that keeps popping up in captured frames - they're VERY visible and it's alot of work to find them & cut them out again and again.

As for Pertti, yes, I tried capturing using any of the 3 capturing modes, in highest quality. The problem popps up in all 3 of them, regardless of the input source (SVHS or composite).

My system : Intel BX440 MoBo, PIII-500, 128 MB RAM, HD: 2x20, 1x40 GB (the latter being a 7200RPM AV HD, used for capturing), DVD-Rom, Network Card, Soundblaster Live! (I know, I'd better change it) and V90 modem.

Comment

Working...
        X