Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft declared Windows 98, 95, 3.xx and MS-DOS 6.xx (ALL flavors) "obsolete".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft declared Windows 98, 95, 3.xx and MS-DOS 6.xx (ALL flavors) "obsolete".

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

and about time too!!
    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

what do you mean? some of the banking industry in this area is using WFW 3.1 still.....and a pain it is but unless they make MAJOR upgrades they will be still on it years from now......so support it and everything else out there...OR make the patches NOW available indefinately with no further support.....but i hate when i look for an older version of something to fix an issue like IE.....I cant put IE 6 on some slower systems due to resources....so IE 4.0 would suffice but they (M$) wont have it available...only the bloated latest version...

-just my $0.02 worth

Damn M$
      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Sheesh, they have had many years and rollover programs to help them out. If they are stuck with stoneage software because their management are too cheap to actually get up to date, then that's their problem...unless they have good IT dep't's that don't need help from MS.

I like coverage of legacy as much as the next guy, but the fact is that the sooner we bury it the better. HW mfr's can finally concentrate on current OS driver development, software mfr's can finally get away from the multiple OS support problem. It really is better in the end. I mean come on, we were supposed to be done with legacy support by 97.

just my .00003.

Rags

Comment

EverythingĀ“s got to die...

Comment

Great!

Does that mean I can copy W9x to my hearts delight and distribute it to all my buddies? (I should check the license on that!)
            ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

does that mean no directx9 for win98??

and no way to run dos games in newer versions of win2000/xp and win-me?

so if i want to run both old dos games and directx9 games i HAVE to use dualboot?

thats not great, thats awfull!
              This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Face it everyone that still run DOS based OS's, NT based OS's are lightyears better.

And the thought of running a DOS based OS when DX9 becomes available is almost ridiculous.

The DOS games will work eventually with an emulator, sooner or later.

Comment

At least DOS is not totally obsolete by now (Win3.1, 95, 98, ME IMHO are).

Or would anyone here trust any Windows version when flashing the BIOS of his expen$ive GeForce3, SCSI or mainboard?
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                    Or would anyone here trust any Windows version when flashing the BIOS of his expen$ive GeForce3, SCSI or mainboard?
                    Well, I've flashed my G400MAX's BIOS in Windows 2000... And some weeks ago my friend succesfully updated his motherboard BIOS in Windows XP using some kind of autoupdate...

Comment

Well, if you haven't noticed it before, Windows [95/98/Me] isn't an operating system, it's just a grafical interface for DOS. For six years Microsoft has tried to convince people that Windows is something else that DOS, but the fact is that there it still is. XP has finally stopped this nonsense (and NT before that actually). Then again, try to run for example Frontier:Elite or Sam'n'Max from Windows 2000... and it isn't going to get any easier...

All this talk about DOS-emulators is just talk as there aren't any good dosemu's for Windows (Linux is a different matter and dosemu isn't still working 100% properly).
                      Hey, maybe you and I could... you know... [SLAP] Agh!

Comment

TdB

dos will run dos-games better than ANY dos-"emulator".

am i the only one who actually think, that old games can be good too?

good graphics/sound isnĀ“t about fancy 3d-engines, it is about good artwork, and gameplay was good back then too, Sam'n'Max is only one example out of many.
                        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

People, this is why you save the updates. It only takes one CD-R to store all the updates for 95, 95B, 95C, 98, 98SE, ME, and 2K(Sorry NT 4 users, I never, personally, liked that O.S.). This includes Windows Media 6.4 and 7.1 and only part of another for I.E. 5.01 SP2, I.E. 5.5 SP1, I.E. 5.5 SP2, and I.E. 6. with security updates, critical updates, service packs, etc . . .

If I had a website, I would post my collection that was created from Microsoft's Technet Pages. This site links to the Corporate Update section site and the Security Bulletin section as well.

BTW, if anyone needs any of this, I can send the files.

. . . . . . . Now if only they had a section for XP.

Comment

Why don't they just say what they mean? "You will buy Windows XP and pay us every year for its use. You will pay us whenever you change your hardware. You will pay us whenever we decide that we feel like you should. When we decide we aren't rich enough you will pay us some more, because even though every one of us working here is a multimillionaire it doesn't matter.. if we can still bend you over and cornhole your ass, we're damned well gonna do it!!

**** You Too, Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                              Why don't they just say what they mean? "You will buy Windows XP and pay us every year for its use. You will pay us whenever you change your hardware. You will pay us whenever we decide that we feel like you should. When we decide we aren't rich enough you will pay us some more, because even though every one of us working here is a multimillionaire it doesn't matter.. if we can still bend you over and cornhole your ass, we're damned well gonna do it!!

**** You Too, Microsoft.
                              Yeh and when will we be able to "buy" a XP ver that don't look like a fvcking Picasso?
                              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
                              X