Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspi????

I have just installed Win2K SP2.

When i run CDRWIN it shouts about needing an ASPI layer. I din't think I needed to install one with 2K/ME/XP.

The Adaptec site is not very forthcoming, so any help would be appreciated!

Cheers
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Paddy, go to http://www.cyrus.troy.btinternet.co.uk/downloads.htm & download ForceAspi.
    there is a full explaination on how to use it in the unzipped file. works with 2K/ME/XP!

Comment

Cheers for the fast reply!

What a guy
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

ayoub - thanks a lot ! I have an audio software, that does not recognise my cd-roms on W2k (W98SE was fine).

I will give that a try.

MK
        <font size="1">
        Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
        ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
        Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
        2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
        256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
        Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
        ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
        Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
        Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
        Plustek Optic Pro U12B
        HP Deskjet 959C
        Plantronics LS1 Headset
        all on W2k Professional SP2
        </font>

Comment

MK, are you getting some sort of error code in device manager?

Comment

ayoub - No, everything is fine in the device manager. Since my move from W98SE to W2k, Wavelab (version 3.04c) does not see my CD-ROM or burner anymore, although the "Show NT CD-ROMs" option is highlighted.

Besides that option is another one called "Show ASPI CD-ROMs". It`s greyed out at the moment, but I will give that a try with the ASPI drivers if I have more time, maybe on the weekend.

Do you have any other suspicion ?

MK
            <font size="1">
            Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
            Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
            Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
            Plustek Optic Pro U12B
            HP Deskjet 959C
            Plantronics LS1 Headset
            all on W2k Professional SP2
            </font>

Comment

I had the same problems with two of my programs under Win2K (and now WinXP). The solution was a combination of steps 1 and two (detailed here- http://www.nu2.nu/aspi/). First I installed the Adaptec ASPI layer (latest version). When that didn't solve the problem, I searched til I found a reference to using the Nero dll. After I downloaded that aspi driver file, everything started working (well, once I ALSO told it to use ASPI under WinNT).

Since I had already installed the Adaptec ASPI layer prior to using the Nero file, and since the site I originally found reference to the Nero fix said to have it installed first anyway, I haven't tried just copying the Nero file as the link above says to do (no Adaptec layer needed as far as the reading indicates). If I were doing it all over again, I'd recommend trying just the nero winaspi32.dll file first, and if that didn't work, then I'd install the Adaptec layer (using ForceASPI or any of the other available tools for the job), and then replace the Adaptec file (it does have a winaspi32.dll that it installs too, but without effect, at least in my case) with the Nero file. That way, if the Nero file really is ALL that's needed, you won't have the excess Adaptec stuff lurking around to cause trouble later (for instance, until I forced XP to record the version of the Nero file, it kept 'restoring' the Adaptec winaspi32 file on reboots, meaning I had to once more copy the Nero file, lol).

Good luck!
              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
              Gainward Ti4600
              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Ace - Thanks for that one ! After I copied the wnaspi.dll to ...\System32\ , the "Show ASPI CDROMs" option is not greyed out any more. Unfortunately, it still refuses to work. aspichk reports that ASPI not being installed properly.

So I will have to tweak a bit more.

MK
                <font size="1">
                Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card