Big step forward for new version CloneCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big step forward for new version CloneCD

new CloneCD version released that contains 2 very interesting features that will make many users happy:

- Added "Amplify Weak Sectors" option! (not available in USA and Great Britain)

This new feature can be used with all non-SD2 capable recorders in order to create FULLY SD2 working backups.

As CloneCD author explains: "...Some CDs may contain "weak" sectors, which can't be written correctly by several CD-Writers. If this option is checked, CloneCD will modify these sectors in a way the writer can write them correctly. The error correction of any CD-ROM will revert these sectors to their original state. It works similar to the technique we have already seen in BetaBlocker, but with some improvements, like a better and faster recognition of the "weak patterns". This "amplification" is done while *writing* on the fly without any major CPU hit!)..."

This new feature is not available in USA&UK due to the local laws. The UK doesnt seem to have something similar to DMCA but CloneCD author believes: "...I am not a law expert, but the UK has close relations to the US and I was advised to leave out these options for the UK. Better safe than sorry...".

- Added Option to "hide" CDR Media from applications (not available in USA and Great Britain, not available on Windows NT4)

This features not only hides the ATIP of a CD-R but also PMA and disables subchannel checks. Both SecuROM 2/SafeDisc 2 versions check for SubChannelData/ATIP information. This has been fixed with this new build.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

PS. USA/UK visitors can try the 2 new features either by simply changing regional status with another country or trying:

1) Search the Windows registry for "AmplifyWeak" and then enable by entering 1 instead of 0.
    2) This enables this optin permanantly. You still won't have access to the check box thru CloneCD but you could easily disable by doing the above reg fix in reverse.

Oh yeah baby.

Cheers for the tip!

(although my 1210S can make working SD2 backups )
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Cool
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

If someone gives some examples of SD2 discs, I'll see if my LiteON2410B (rebadged Plextor) can handle it.

Tony.
        FT.

Comment

How's that drive going Tony? I was going to get myself one, my old HP 2X writer freaks out if it gets warm these days

Comment

TONY

You don't need to use AWS or any other fancy tricks to copy SD2 protected games with your Lite-ON LTR-24102B .... It can do it on it's own, since it supports true EFM writing !

One SD2 game is Max Payne !
            Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
            incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

well I've changed my regional settings to Canada(english) & in win98 I get the Amplify Weak Sectors & hide CDR Media options but in Xp only the Amplify Weak Sectors option appears, the hide CDR Media option remains greyed out!

Comment

Ant
                Not many problems so far. I upgraded the bundled Nero from 5.5.3 to 5.5.5.1 and the BIOS to the latest version. Nero now seems to need telling that the drive is capable of 24x rather than 16x, but it will use 24x.
                It wasn't using DMA at first as I had an LS120 as slave on that channel, so the buffer was always at 5%. Since removing the LS120, the buffer is always ~95% full.
                It is quiet, no coasters yet, and I am pleased with the purchase. I put together a copy of the Nero CD and included the upgrade - total ~400Mb. It burnt this with 4 mins caching and 4 mins writing. So far I recommend it. Dabs is still the cheapest I've seen.

Its kinda funny you having problems with a HP 2x - thats what I've changed from (7100e moved inside), as my drawer became knackered.

Kosh - thanks, I heard something like that on here before buying (rebadged Plextor?).

I want to start using the Max Payne level editor while at work, so that gives me a chance to prove it!

Cheers

T.
                FT.

Comment

Working...
                X