Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does WInXP Pro and WInXP Home use different kernels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does WInXP Pro and WInXP Home use different kernels?

Someone told me that XP Pro is using a different "kernel" (I assume he meant the code brain of the operating system) than XP home. He mentioned this in the context that XP home had a better success with win98 programs and games but was still as stable as XP Pro OS....and that XP Pro was more business based hence the problems it occassionally has with games and such...

is this true....a different kernel base between pro and home versions?

regards

no, they both use the same nt kernel, the only real differences are the remote desktop thing and the multiprocessor support... apart from that they are identical...

Comment

thanks...kind of doubted the diff kernel theory

Comment

Well, SMP support is not something to be overlooked. It <I>may</I> be that Home supports Win9x better, if it were also compiled for UP.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Nah. It's the same kernel. If you run Pro in Uniprocessor mode you'll get exactly the same results as running Home.

Pro = Home + Features

Home = Pro - Features

Very simple, really. Home sucks, Pro doesn't.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Another differance too is that home supports only FAT32 and Pro supports both FAT32 and NTFS. Also I believe the home verison can't log into XP user domains or something along those lines.

Scott
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Pro is the only one with support for dynamic disks.

Comment

That´s why I will pass on WinXP. I do own Win2k Pro, and while the XP home version is affordable, XP pro is very expensive.

I still can´t think of a reason to go with XP. To be honest I think win2k pro + sp2 + appupd + IE 6.0 + DX8.1 equals winXP, minus the fancy(?) visuals that many people turn off to improve desktop performance.

Now I would recomend XP to everyone running any win9x kernel, but about Win2k users, I just don´t know.

Comment

I can't see any reason to upgrade either. So far I've found it less stable than win2k.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've got both XP and Win2K Pro and see no reason to use XP as a main OS.

I'll keep it on the removable beta drive as part of the multiboot, but I won't use it for general purposes 'til it's been through some service packs.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                    X