New monitor report: Sony HMD-A400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New monitor report: Sony HMD-A400

19" Trinitron flat display (18" viewable), .24mm pitch, 4 USB ports + hub connector (2 on left & 2 on right), up front single control button for setups & it has a "Dynamic" picture effect setting, which is in effect a multimedia preset for pictures, DVD playback & games.

Report:

Gorgeous image quality. No flicker/jitter & VERY sharp. Whites are very bright and clear. Text is VERY sharp and smooth. The up front controls with single button are easy to use and precise.

The "Dynamic" multimedia preset adjusts the display settings so that NTSC or PAL video played on the computer screen isn't so muddy looking as when displayed using the "normal" RGB settings. Basically it adjusts the brightness, contrast & gamma. This is an excellent feature for those doing video editing. This can be turned on and off very quickly using the up front control button.

The USB ports are very handy and removed a lot of cable clutter from behind the case. I just installed the included USB cable from the monitor to the computer and Win2K installed the hub at startup. All my devices from the wheelmouse to the CF card reader work great. Having the 4 ports split 2 each between the right and left sides of the monitor is a very nice idea.

Weirdness:

The only one I can find is that the front feet it stands on are so far apart it bridges my power center instead of standing on it. Have to move things around a bit to compensate for that....

Cost at Best Buy: $499 USD, but there is a rebate to $419 USD being offered by Sony. Best Buy gives you a duplicate reciept and the rebate form.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 November 2001, 14:28.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Here's the link:

Comment

The outside casing looks ugly IMO, from that picture.
      Primary system specs:
      Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

I agree it's a bit plain looking with a silver finish & blue trim on the bottom/sides, but on the good side it's clean and uncluttered. I'm getting used to it. I'm more interested in what shows up in the active area anyhow.

The Sony specs are also a bit misleading to the low side. They list it as a 1600x1200 monitor, but my RT-2000's G400-Flex is reporting, and can use, a max setting of 1856x1392 with it installed as a P & P monitor.

It's not as deep as the KDS 195T I was using on this system. The KDS was basically a Sony chassis with a KDS case anyhow.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 November 2001, 15:08.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I've heard reports of a top bow on these monitors that is impossible to correct via the onscreen controls. Can you confirm or deny this?

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I agree.. ugly ugly ugly.. what a shame all the new Sonys look like some picture frame propped up on the desk.

I want a great image.. but it's gotta look cool on the desk.

Comment

Grum,

Hard to confirm/deny since my displays edges are as straight as an arrow. Mebbe I'll risk throwing it out to see if I can get it back....

The things betas will do.....

KvH,

Not my attitude at all. I'm much more results oriented without much care for appearances. Mebbe that's also reflected in my taste for vans instead of cars for family usage & 10g shotguns for home defense instead of popguns

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 November 2001, 20:18.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X