Car insurance in UK who are the good ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car insurance in UK who are the good ones

Well the time is approaching when it's time to be ripped of by the car insurance companies again. Does anyone recommend one and do they do online quotes??
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

privilege seems to be a good insurer in terms of price. their policies are underwritten by direct line if that's any help!
    not online I'm afraid!

Comment

Don't use A-Quote as a broker - incompetent isn't the word

Direct Line, Eagle Star, Frizzells, Admiral have all been quite good. Every year they each target different groups, so every year you have to shop around.

I once (~4 years ago) had fully comp protected insurance with Kwik Fit (!) for £150 on an Astra, and a 10% discount card off all their stuff. I now pay double that. Dont ask what my Accord costs as a second car

Car Insurance
      FT.

Comment

really shop around!

Mine isn't up for renewal until Jan, but I have been looking at quotes recently. My quote with the same company (direct line) changed by £200 in two weeks, with no change in details...

I cant wait until i become over 25!

Not sure what line of work you are in but Frizzells do a really good deal on Gov' employees.

If you find a cheap 'un let me know!

Paddy
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

In Northern Ireland, we always get shafted..... I moved back here and my insurance more than DOUBLED ten years ago!!!!

I have got the best quotes reciently from the 'farmers union', and from the 'volvo owners club' - believe it or not, I dont have a Volvo, and I am not a farmer!!! (I am with Iron trades at the moment)

Keep her 'between the green' untill you are 25 ant it WILL get a bit better..... (but then you will want a beemer

redred
          Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

I'm an ex-civil servant. I used Frizzells for a number of years, then realised they had become expensive. They aren't too bad now, and their buildings & contents insure is incredibly cheap. Unfortunately I was forced to have the insurance provided by my new mortgage company, and that costs alot more, but it is outweighed by the savings in interest payments.

NB Frizzells are also known as Liverpool Victoria.

T.

PS Hey Paddy, don't wish away your youth. Life is way way way too short to do that. Sometimes I find myself looking forward to the end of the month so I can get paid again, but then I realise thats another few weeks gone. Better to enjoy what I have while I can.
            Last edited by Fat Tone; 17 November 2001, 04:38.
            FT.

Comment

RedRed:

I'd quite like a Jag myself....
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I’ve been insured with Kwik-Fit for years, every time it comes up for renewal they try to put the price up. I phone around for other quotes and find one cheaper. Ring Kwik-Fit back and they can suddenly do it cheaper. It's not much cheaper but that 10% discount card sometimes comes in handy, like when you need a complete exhaust system at £180!

Shopping around and playing one insurer off against the other seems the best way. Also, some insurers favour certain professions. A friend of mine works for Bradford city council and she gets really cheap insurance through Zurich.

Try Hill House Hammond too, they're not bad and they do on-line quotes. www.hhh.co.uk
                Last edited by Chris Blake; 18 November 2001, 02:44.
                Chris Blake

Comment

Tony:

I'm taking life one day at a time - and enjoying every second.

Comment

I moved over to Direct Line last February when my insurance was due.
                    Check out their web site as you can get a full quote there.
                    When I went shopping for new insurance Direct Line managed to:

Reduce my Excess for £150 to £0
                    Reduce my Windscreen from £100 to £50
                    Offer me monthly instalments at no extra cost

And reduce my premium by around £150 too.
                    The protected NCB was also a god-send when I had a prang earlier this year.

When I did have a prang, within 1hr of the accident my car was actually at the place where it was going to be repaired and I was (unfortunately) safely back at work.
                    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

i am pretty sure co-op are good. they are cheap for me on my mum's car
                      Dell Inspiron 8200
                      Pentium4m 1.6
                      640mb pc2100
                      64mb gf440go
                      15" uxga ultrasharp
                      40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

Tescos!

Yes really, over £100 cheaper than anyone else I could find...

Tescos, Direct Line and the AA were the only 3 under £1000 too.

Insurance is getting ridiculous though, got my own insurance for the first time last year, I'm now 22 instead of 21, got one years no claims bonus and I'm driving the same car and now live in an area that has reduced my premiums by £200 compared to where I was before. By shopping around quite hard, I managed to get a quote £100 cheaper than last years, or £100 more if I used my previous address. Sorry if you were hoping to save a bit of cash on it this year

I thought it was supposed to get cheaper as you get older and build a no claims?! Of course all those 'personal injuries' rip off merchants that can advertise on TV now don't help.

Comment

My insurer of choice for the last five or six years has been Adrian Flux for anything with the letters 'GT' 'S' 'XR' or 'I' in the model name.
                          It was only last year that Eagle Star gave me a better quote for my daily drive Vauxhall Turbo-dullsell than Flux's did.
                          Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

RedRed....

You complain that your insurance rates went up when you moved to N. Ireland.

Why are you surprised? For decades the national sport up there has been blowing up and machine-gunning everyone and everything in sight. Did you really expect the insurance companies to eat the additional expenses brought on by N. Irelands national nervous breakdown?

Almost as bad as the guy who moves in next to an airport and complains about the noise

Dr. Mordrid
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 November 2001, 19:00.
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Doc,
                              What does that have to do with car insurance? Maybe his car is more likely to get damaged, but not due to an auto accident. Wouldn't having your car vandalized fall under homeowner's insurance, or something along those lines?
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X