Dynamat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamat?

I'm looking to quiet down my PC case. There are a couple of fans in there that could use some help, but that won't be enough.

Has anybody ever worked with dynamat? Will it really help?

What about things like using rubber grommets when mounting my drives?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Just try some ear plugs. My machines make a racket which mean I can't leave one all day otherwise my mother goes nuts and shes deaf. The sound of the fans are just in the range of her hearing aids.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I want it quieter for use. Not only games, but movie watching.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Headphones ???
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Anybody have real suggestions?

Comment

I have a PC with an X15-36LP in a Coolermaster and a 1000BB. Along with those I have 2 120mm and 1 90mm Panaflos. Needless to say this makes a lot of noise.

I have the sides of my case dynamated, but it only did a miminal amount of noise dampening. The problem comes with the holes for the air circulation at the front and rear of the case. Since these can't be covered in high performance PCs, you'll always hear your computer.

The best solution I have for you is place your computer as far away as you can and have it surrounded by as much stuff as possible. (Without obstructing the airflow)

Comment

I use Dynamat on in my computer and my friends computer (who has a 7000 RPM fan on his Alpha cooler). Dynmat does a wonderful job. Obviously the more expensive stuff works better, but the normal stuff does fine unless you have an extremely noisy case.

Dynamat will muffle really sharp, loud fans and almost kill any regular fan noise.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I would think dynamat would be most helpful in reducing noise caused by hard drives and CD drives, but not so helpful with fans. The main advantage I've usually seen to dynamat is in vibration reduction, which often translates to noise reduction.

Build a box that is quite a bit larger than your computer, then line the box with sound dampening foam (usually carried by decent music stores), just make sure there is plenty of room for air circulation.

For added sound dampening, seal the box and make sure there are minimal air/sound leaks and run some ducting from the box to another room where a large fan is located to provide circulation into/out of the box....keep that room nice and cool.

Oh, and forget about using your CD drive.

b
                Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Dynamat works somewhat. Certainly reduces my case from a 747 to a passing car...

But there are some noises it just won't kill - my DVD drive sounding like a freight train, or my dual IBM hard drives making an acoustic interference pattern "whine" are unaffected.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

I was thinking of acoustic foam as well, but for the top and MB sides of the case, I don't have the room for it. Won't the foam rapidly absorb dust though?

Comment

I think vacuuming has been mentioned before - don't you have to worry about static? I think the advice was also to blow, not suck.

I stopped each fan in turn in my PC and found the largest contributor by far to the noise to be the PSU fan
                      FT.

Comment

Yup, my PSU fan is by far the most anoying. I have ordered a Zalman flower with a quiet fan. Although I wont get fantastic cooling, it should be quiet.

I will probably make the 80mm fan by the CPU run at 7v and blow cool air to aid cooling.
                        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Heard Dynamat is smelly.

Comment

Paddy, that's your <B>CPU</B> fan, not the <B>P</B>ower <B>S</B>upply <B>U</B>nit fan.

Comment

Originally posted by orangejulius
                              Heard Dynamat is smelly.
                              ...and very heavy. Hope you aren't planning on luggin your PC about on a regular basis

Running your fans at 7v is probably the best option. You could buy/build yourself a BayBus to switch them to 12v for heavy duty gaming sessions, and then a much quieter 7v when watching films. There is only likely to be a difference of a couple of degrees.

Also try putting some rubber grommits in the screw holes to help lessen any vibration that the fan makes.

Failing that, go water cooled and junk most of your fans. Better temps and much less noise
                              Phils PC Mods - a rough guide

Comment

Working...
                              X