Avid Cinema VCD output template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avid Cinema VCD output template

For all of us out there who still use Avid Cinema, I have succeeded in making a PAL Video CD output template, with resolution 352 x 288. Avid seems to lack this output size. The "Avid Cinema - AVI" is 704 x 576, while the "Presentation" mode is 320 x 240, and some others are 352 x 480.

I made it by editing the "Presentation" ini file in the plugins/output formats folder in the Avid Cinema directory. Unfortunately, the codec it uses (Quicktime cinepak) is blocky and not very good. I was hoping to change it to the Matrox MJPEG, but haven't succeeded as yet because I lack the knowledge.

For those interested in trying, here is the VCD template I made. Just click on any of the templates in the output formats folder, and it will open as a text file in notepad. I took the "presentation" template and simply changed the line near the bottom that says

FrameSize = HALF_NTSC
    to:
    FrameSize = (352,288)

You can also make your own name for it by changing the "Formatname" from "Presentation" to whatever you like, and the "Description" to whatever you like also, then saving the template under a different name. It will then appear as a different option when you go to render your video.

# Quicktime Cinepak Internet
    Initialize = TRUE
    FormatName = "Presentation"
    Cookie = ""
    Description = "Save your movie in this format if you want to import your movie into a presentation program, such as Microsoft Powerpoint."
    VideoFormat = 0x0A; SECAM | PAL
    CompressorManufacturer = 0
    CompressorType = 'cvid'
    Version = 0x00010000
    MovieFormat = 0x6 ; DATA_FORK_FORMAT + FAST_START_FORMAT
    InitialAudioChunk = 2.0
    AudioInterleave = 0.5
    BitsPerPixel = 24
    SpatialCompression = HIGH_QUALITY
    TemporalCompression = HIGH_QUALITY
    MinSpatialCompression = MIN_QUALITY
    MinTemporalCompression = MIN_QUALITY
    DataRate = 1024000 ; 60 MB/Minute
    FrameTimescale = 600
    FrameDuration = 24 ; Change the ExportData to match!!
    AudioChannels = STEREO
    AudioFormat = LITTLE_ENDIAN_AUDIO
    AudioSampleSize = SIXTEEN_BIT_AUDIO
    AudioSampleRate = 44100
    Keyframe = 25 ; key frame once a second???
    FrameSize = (352,288)
    ExportType = 'AVI '
    ExportData = { 'AVI ', {36, 'AVI ', 0, 0, 0x00010001, 0x11, 0, 0, 40000 } }
    FileExtension = "avi"

As I said, the quality is still blocky. I would really prefer to modify the "Avid Cinema - AVI template, as it uses the Matrox codec, as identified at the top line:

# Native format - ActiveMovie Compatible

If you make a movie using this output, then view its properites under explorer, or using vritualDub, it identifies it as RRIcm, which is the Matrox MJPEG codec.

I tried changing the line:

FrameSize = (0,0)
    to
    FrameSize = (352,288)

but it still outputs to 704 x 576. I'm sure that this is because a lot of the parameters have a setting of "0" which presumably bypasses the size adjustment or locks it out. I could change them if I knew what to set them to. Anyone an expert in this?

If you try, here are some of the error messages to expect, when you go to test it, by rendering a clip using your modified template. By the way, in order for Avid to recognise the changes to the template, you must save the new template, then shut down Avid, and reopen it.

Error messages:

OUTPUT ERROR - if some setting isn't right
    CANNOT FIND CODEC - if you change the line:

CompressorType = 'cvid'
    to
    CompressorType = 'RRIcm'

but not change the top line from

# Quicktime Cinepak Internet
    to
    # Native format - ActiveMovie Compatible

if trying to use the Matrox MJPEG codec (RRIcm)

Keep on trying, Graham

Avid Cinema VCD input template

I'm still working on the VCD output template, but at the other end of the process, capturing, I have succeeded in making a VCD input capture template.

When you create a new project in Avid, it offers you the choice of "Best" quality, or "good" quality. These are normally 704 x 576 (Best) and 352 x 576 (good). With these, you normally can capture about 9 mins and 18 mins of footage before hitting the 2 gig limit in any single capture on the timeline.

This new template I've made captures at 352 x 288 PAL VCD resolution at a compression of about 6.5:1, giving nearly 40 mins for a 2 gig file size.

The original template, called "Matrox-PAL.ini" is found in the Avid Cinema directory, in the plugins/hardware folder. Remove the old one, after making a backup copy of it somewhere. Then copy and paste all of the text below into a notepad document, and save it as the same name as the original template - "Matrox-PAL.ini", into the plugins/hardware folder.

Now, when you start Avid Cinema, and choose a NEW PROJECT, choosing "Good" quality will give you a 352 x 288 VCD resolution capture.

The template:

# This .INI file for Matrox G400 capture cards using AVID codec
    Initialize = call ( "ValidateHAL", "Validate" , {
    { "file", "[matroxrr]vcap16.dll", "!exists", "", "fail:Matrox Rainbow Runner drivers are not installed or need to be updated" },
    { "file.version", "[matroxrr]vcap16.dll", "<", "2.0.000", "fail:Matrox Rainbow Runner drivers are not installed or need to be updated" },
    { "quicktime.component", "imdcdmb1AVID", "!exists", "", "fail:AVID Codec for QuickTime is not installed properly" }
    } )
    FormatName = "PAL MJPEG 352x288 Matrox G400"
    Cookie = "GOODPAL 352x288 MJPEG 25FPS"
    Description = "Captures using a Matrox G400 VidCap device, compressing w/MJPEG at 352x288 25 FPS, Supports TV-TUNER"
    VideoFormat = PAL
    VideoQuality = GOOD_QUALITY
    CODECManufacturer = 'AVID'
    CODECType = 'imdc'
    CODECSubType = 'dmb1'
    CompressorManufacturer = 'AVID'
    CompressorType = 'dmb1'
    Version = 0x00040003
    Manufacturer = "Avid"
    DeviceName = "Matrox G400 VidCap Driver"
    VFWDevice = "Matrox VidCap Driver" ;Do NOT EDIT this name or your app may no longer open
    VFWCODEC = "MJPEG"
    VideoRecordingManager = "VideoVfW.dll"
    AudioRecordingManager = "AudioWaveIn.dll"
    MovieFormat = DATA_FORK_FORMAT
    InitialAudioChunk = 2.0
    AudioInterleave = 0.5
    BitsPerPixel = 24
    SpatialCompression = HIGH_QUALITY
    TemporalCompression = MIN_QUALITY
    MinSpatialCompression = MIN_QUALITY
    MinTemporalCompression = MIN_QUALITY
    DataRate = 920000 ; 25 FPS @ 36K/Frame + 2 44KHz Stereo 16-bit channels
    FrameTimescale = 600
    FrameDuration = 24
    AudioChannels = STEREO
    AudioFormat = LITTLE_ENDIAN_AUDIO
    AudioSampleSize = SIXTEEN_BIT_AUDIO
    AudioSampleRate = FORTY_FOUR_KHZ
    Keyframe = 1
    HasComposite = TRUE
    HasSVideo = TRUE
    HasTuner = call("MatroxScript.dll", "CheckTVTunerPresent", 0 );G400's have an optional TV tuner
    HasDigital = FALSE
    FrameSize = (352,288)
    DisplaySize = FULL_PAL
    ScaledSizes = {HALF_PAL, QUARTER_PAL, (256,192), (80,60)}
    CapturePreviewSizes = {HALF_PAL, QUARTER_PAL, (256,192), (80,60)}

; These hooks are for Matrox G400 drivers!
    EnterCapture = call("MatroxScript.dll", "RunMatroxScript", {
    ; following is script to configure the VIDEO SOURCE
    { "SOURCE", "PRESET", "" }, ;set video source
    { "QUALITY", "MEDIUM", "" }, ;set video quality
    { "BRIGHTNESS", "38648", "" }, ;set video brightness
    { "SATURATION", "31927", "" }, ;set video saturation
    { "CONTRAST", "35288", "" }, ;set video contrast
    { "HUE", "31927", "" }, ;set video hue
    { "SHARPNESS", "32768", "" } ;set video sharpness
    } )

SetVideoSourceSVideo = call("MatroxScript.dll", "RunMatroxScript", {
    { "SOURCE", "SVIDEO", "" } ;set video source
    } )

SetVideoSourceComposite = call("MatroxScript.dll", "RunMatroxScript", {
    { "SOURCE", "COMPOSITE", "" } ;set video source
    } )

SetVideoSourceTunerAir = call("MatroxScript.dll", "RunMatroxScript", {
    { "SOURCE", "TUNER", "AIR" } ;set video source
    } )

SetVideoSourceTunerCable = call("MatroxScript.dll", "RunMatroxScript", {
    { "SOURCE", "TUNER", "CABLE" } ;set video source
    } )

GetVideoInputSource = call("MatroxScript.dll", "GetVideoInputSource", 0);

SetTunerChannel = call("MatroxScript.dll", "SetTunerChannel", 0);set channel as passed by the application

GetTunerChannel = call("MatroxScript.dll", "ReadTunerChannel", 0 );query the tuner's current setting

GetVideoInputSync = call("MatroxScript.dll", "CheckInputSignalLock", 0 );determine if incoming signal is locked

GetMacrovisionStatus = call("MatroxScript.dll", "IsMacrovisionDetected", 0 );determine if incoming signal is MacrovisionEncoded

SendWindowHandle = call("MatroxScript.dll", "WriteWindowHandle", 0 );send the preview window handle to support dll

Comment

Success!!

OK, I figured it out!

If you make an input capture template from the one I last posted, it will automatically give you a VCD output. So here is a summary of what to do for various settings:

To make a PAL VCD resolution capture (352 x 288):

- use the "Matrox-PAL.ini" template that I just posted previously by replacing the old "Matrox-PAL.ini" in the PLUGINS/HARDWARE folder of Avid Cinema with this new one (make a backup of the original first.

-Remember that when you copy and paste the template text into notepad, that you save it with a .ini extension.

Now, when you select as your capture option the "Good" quality setting in Avid, it will now capture at 352 x 288 VCD resolution, as opposed to the 352 x 576 of the original "Good" quality setting. You will now get about 40 mins capture before hitting the 2 gig limit.

To render an output file in VCD resolution:

- select the "Avid Cinema - AVI" option.

This will output at the same resolution as the input capture (352 x 288), ready for AVI to mpg VCD conversion for Video CD burning in Nero or Easy CD Creator.

Use this method, rather than the very first OUTPUT template I posted. It gives much better quality output, because it uses the Matrox MJPEG output. The first template was the modified "Presentation" setting output. It works, but was lower quality and blockier, because it used the Quicktime Cinepak codec, not nearly as good.

For anyone who has trouble making the template from the text, I have posted the "Matrox-PAL.ini" file, ready to use, as a zip file attached here
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X