Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP and NAV 2002...slow like hell

Hi all XP users here,
    I just installed Norton Antivirus 2002 on my Win XP system and I immediately notice the huge difference in performance. Eveything takes much longer to open..IE6, Outlook Express, Display Properties, Windows Explorer,... everything.
    I couldn't not stand that any longer so I removed it and I feel this is my computer again. But it is too dagerous to run computer without any antivirus program.
    Have anyone here experienced the same problem? Have you found solution? Or should I go with another antivirus program?
    SuRGV
    MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
    AMD Athlon 64 3200
    1024 MB PC3200 RAM
    WD 160 GB HDD
    2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
    ATI 9500 64 Videocard
    Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
    Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
    Windows XP Professional SP2

Use it here without any problems. You sound like you've set the startup options to scan for everything like every single file.
    You could always use mcafee instead and watch your computer slowly disintergrate.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Thanks for your reply, The PIT.
      Yes I left the startup option as default. No change to it. But if it is the problem, my computer should be normal again after it has been running for a day. The problem still remains even when I disabled "Auto Protect".
      I had a bad experience with McAFee when running Windows 2000 Pro while Norton Antivirus 2001 was working perfectly without causing system to slow down. Therefore, I don't know if I need to get McAFee. NAV in fact earned XP compatible logo right? It does not earn it here on my system.
      I think I can't leave my computer on tonight since no antivirus program is installed..

SuRGV
      MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
      AMD Athlon 64 3200
      1024 MB PC3200 RAM
      WD 160 GB HDD
      ATI 9500 64 Videocard
      Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
      Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

SuRGV, you've got me a bit worried now as I'm just going to install NAV2002 on my XP!

Comment

I've been running NAV 2002 on Both W9x and XP and the difference in startup time and thus overall scanning time is HUGE !

On Win9X :
          Startup and scanning of a single file is extremly fast !
          Less than 2 Seconds

On WinXP :
          Startup and scanning of a single file takes approx 12 seconds

With all other programs I've used on XP it's the other way around.
          Extremly fast program launches in XP as compared to 9X.
          Especially Unreal Tournament starts really fast under XP.

So I'm also left wondering ??????

Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
          incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

personally Ithink antinvirus programs are hugely overinflated fear machines...I have been web browsing/comptrs for over 10 years and as a consumer NEVER had one virus. So I think a lot of virus prgms are fear mongering - be smart, don't open email from unknowns and stay away from downloading pirate progams...otherwise I have never needed a virus progm (and back stuff up anyway)...unless you work for a big company and get a lot of unknown s/w as part of your job....

when I hear about the I love you virus or whatevr...it is a spectacular media overplay...dump your antivirus and play naked ...you might like it

Comment

I too can confirm that NAV 2002 takes for-****ing-ever in Windows XP. It's even worse sending and receiving mail. Uck!

I'm pretty close to uninstalling it and using AVP or something... but... can AVP integrate with Outlook mail? *sigh* Why do they have to go and break a perfectly good program?

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

too bad I can't find a demo of McAFee VirusScan 6 to try. Never used AVP before. If it works well with XP, please let me know Gurm. Thanks.
                SuRGV
                MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
                AMD Athlon 64 3200
                1024 MB PC3200 RAM
                WD 160 GB HDD
                ATI 9500 64 Videocard
                Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
                Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM

Comment

Like I said works for me fine without any problems. As for Virus I've seen plenty at work mostly the same ones. I still remember the Chernobal Virus and version that wiped your hard disk. That got a few students. At home I've only had two virus Anti exe and the Js.exception.exploit and I can't fathom how that got on my system. Nortons doesn't tell you method of infection and Mcafee just say numerous.
                  Still theres nothing better getting someone hasselling you about their computer and it's got a virus thats spread by clicking on a email attachment called runme. It soon makes them go rather sheepish and then you tell them that the computer is riddled with the virus and it's going to take time to fix it and data might be stuffed. You know they haven't got a back up because they're ****oles and the machine is fixed but you're paying them back for the ear ache they gave you so you'll let them sweat all the day.
                  Cruel basterd aren't I.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                  X