I'm in need of your expert advice on video cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in need of your expert advice on video cards

So.. I'm back to being a Matrox User for the moment. Here's why.

I used to have a crappy 17" monitor that I hated with passion, which was originally driven by a good old G400 I quite liked.
    That is, until I was forced by every then current game to use a very low resolution and turn the detail down.
    Then according to your fellow MURCer advice on which GeForces being less terrible, I replaced the video card with an ASUS V7700 (GeForce2 GTS, 32 MB).
    Picture clarity was certainly a little bit worse, colors less vivid - but both of them only slightly. What was really noticeable is just how much better the GeForce2 was at scaling overlays.

On the G400 as soon as you rescale an overlay's window from 1:1 zoom the quality degrades rapidly. (I thought this could be a driver problem in Win2k, but now I see it's still the same even with the latest drivers even in WinXP.) Text (in the TV/video) becomes unreadable already at 70% zoom, while still remaining perfectly legible on the GF2 even at 30%.

Thus I ended up quite happy that after all it was a real upgrade.

Not so when I finally got my new monitor. I plan it to be the last CRT I ever bought, so in the end I opted for the SONY GDM-F520.

Oh my! You cannot even imagine the pain of how awful the picture is on this monitor with the GeForce2 in 1600x1200x32 bit @ 85Hz, unless of course you've experienced it yourself.
    (Higher refresh rates looked even worse.)
    Apps using video overlays still worked though.

Didn't take longer than 15 minutes to annoy me enough to put my trusty G400 Max (32 MB too) back in, which, as expected, immediately solved my 2D image concerns.
    It is, unfortunately, far from an ideal solution. Games are obviously once again dog slow. That I can live with for the moment, but even overlays just don't work at all even in 1600x1200/32 @85Hz. Overlays are simply a must for me, as I'm far too used to watching TV in a little window while working.

Lowering the color depth to 24 bit while leaving the rest untouched thankfully made the overlays work, albeit with the G400's awfully ugly scaling as expected.

To sum up, as noted in the subject, once again I'm interested in your advice on what video card to get.

Here are my minimum requirements it should fulfill:
    • pleasing 2D quality and vivid colors at the very least of 1600x1200x32, 85 Hz
    • working overlays with good scaling capabilities, again 1600x1200x32 @85Hz at minimum
    • the ability to play the upcoming RTC Wolfenstein real smooth at full detail in at least 1024x768x32 (anti-aliasing not necessary)

Dual heads, video in or video out I have no use for.

The machine to play Wolf on is going to be a P4 1.8ghz with 1 GB RDRAM, I'm still waiting on the motherboard currently.

I also picked up a Matrox G550 because it looked so cute (what a tiny video card!). Is it any better at video overlays, or should I not even bother checking it out? (It won't go to waste either way.)

well... being in the market myself for a new card, i've been looking for alternatives for my g400, and thus far despite the few driver issues the radeon 8500 is looking to be the next best alternative to 2d image quality and definately pretty darn good at 3d so i would sugget either that or the geforce3 ti500.... but i've never been a fan of nvidia, so....... yeah.... that's my two cents for the day

fredo

Comment

All things considered, I'm waiting on that 8500 being available here in the UK. I don't care if it is 5% slower than a GF3Ti500 if it looks good. I think we are looking at 2+ weeks, so thats all the time M has to announce an alternative.

T.
      FT.

Comment

"I'm waiting on that 8500 being available here in the UK"

www.ebuyer.com have it at £169+vat for the retail version.
        Their web site have it listed as "Ordered on Request - 10days" but according to the people over at Madonion, those ordering are getting the card within 10 days.
        www.overclockers.co.uk had some limited supply, but sold out.
        They are currently quoting 3-5 days to get some in.
        It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
        Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

is that the aiw version or not?

does anyone know if the mpeg cap of the aiw 8500 is as good as the hw mjpeg of the g400?
          --
          TJ

Comment

oops double post
            Last edited by mrtj1; 15 November 2001, 08:08.
            --
            TJ

Comment

Thanks Paulr. I've been looking everyday and not found anywhere with it actually in stock. I generally try to avoid pre-ordering, especially with brand new stuff.
              £169+VAT is a good price!

BTW I didn't get notification of replies to this thread, and I never turn it off. Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers

Tony.
              FT.

Comment

Actually I may have lied to you
                When ebuyer first started listing the card people were getting them within the quoted 10 days, however it would appear that may have changed.
                Apparently ATI are re-packaging the card, including some new demo's and the updated driver set and this is making them currently as hard to find as hen's teeth.
                I think sombody who contacted ebuyer was actually quoted end of November.
                You might want to drop them a line and see if they can confirm a date with you.
                Their price is great, under £200inc VAT - I'm becomming rather tempted by this too.
                It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Working...
                X