ATI's Radeon 8500 - New drivers expose potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI's Radeon 8500 - New drivers expose potential

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

the 8500 is starting to look very good (DV of course)
    System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

The ATI ad campaign really got on my nerves.
      Radeon tattoos on lots of exposed flesh. Now, I'm a fan of nice curves, but this has the be the most blantant use of sex to sell something completely unrelated that I've seen in a long time. And to a typical market of 14-19 y.o. males.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

ATI...This changes everything

System 1:
        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
        Epox 8K7A
        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
        SBLIVE 5.1
        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
        3Com Hardware Modem
        Teac 20/10/40 burner
        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

I rather like their ad.

Although I do fall into the 14-19 demographic. The ad doesn't affect my buying decision or what I think about ATi. Sex is fine in ad's, as long as it's done with relatively decent taste.

I can't wait for my DV.
          Primary system specs:
          Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Originally posted by EvilDonnyboy
            I rather like their ad.

Although I do fall into the 14-19 demographic. The ad doesn't affect my buying decision or what I think about ATi. Sex is fine in ad's, as long as it's done with relatively decent taste.

I can't wait for my DV.
            Must buy Radeon. Must buy Radeon...
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Actually i just made a order on Radeon 8500, dont know if i get it by this week.. but then its byebye G400MAX. That latest driver release with XP finally helped me to make up my mind. No Gefart here.

Pete

Comment

how did you get a picture of my sister durango???
                Dell Inspiron 8200
                Pentium4m 1.6
                640mb pc2100
                64mb gf440go
                15" uxga ultrasharp
                40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

totally naive question please forgive me....but can the 8500 display 2 CRT monitors (not 1 mon +1 TV or not 1 mon = 1 flatpanel BUT 1 mon + 1 mon) simultaneously like the g400?

thanks

Comment

Doesn't really matter if you haven't got room on your desk. However could they do two Lcd panels?
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Some Copy+Paste ( with some edits ) from http://www.ati.com/na/pages/faq/radeon8500_faq.html#13

Yes. RADEON 8500 allows you to combine many different displays together simultaneously. The possible display configurations are shown in the table below:

CRT monitor
                      DFP monitor
                      TV
                      CRT monitor + TV
                      DFP monitor + TV
                      CRT monitor + DFP connector
                      CRT monitor + CRT monitor
                      CRT monitor + CRT monitor + TV

So no 2 LCDs but 2 CRT monitors (+ TV) works just fine.

Hoping to get my Radeon soon, only game that really has performance issues anymore is UT, and because i dont play UT ( or any of those mods ), the drivers are now OK in XP.

Pete

Comment

think I'll wait until Dec when the radeon 8500 all in wonder is released...I just hope it will be able to capture both analogue AND dv....not just dv which is what I heard...

ps...on the ati site it says on the connectors section:

Stereo audio, S-video and composite video inputs and outputs

maybe it can connect to my old hi-8....
                        Last edited by dancray; 15 November 2001, 13:56.

Comment

Of course it'll capture analogue video. Wtf do you think all those s-video and composite input's are for? The only way you'd not be able to capture analogue video is if ATi seriously screws up the multimedia drivers.
                          Primary system specs:
                          Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

interesting tidbit on AIW8500dv when it is released...it will NOT support win98se.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1555&p=7

Comment

I believe the reason for ditching 98SE has something to do with the Firewire on the 8500DV.
                              Bart

Comment

Working...
                              X