How we mangle each others Languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How we mangle each others Languages

Living in Japan i see some pretty funny translations and 'english' based advertisements. Its also true in the reverse, the kanji on all those t-shirts that young and trendy people wear sometimes have equally 'interesting' meanings.

here is a good site about Japanese english

www.engrish.com

make sure you check out the clothing section

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

With my spelling I mangle the English Lang without any help.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

LOL
      Sasq, how well does the average Japanese understand english.

regards MD
      Interests include:
      Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

reading usually maybe 3rd grade elementary school.

writing (please note my bad spelling as well) about the same level but they have trouble with 'a' and 'the' as well as prepositions of time and place.

The learn more or less all of english grammar at school and probably a vocab of about 9000 words or so. Problem is they learn English like my Dad learned latin - as a dead language.

98% of schools never NEVER teach spoken english. So unless they have a job where they have contact with 'gaijin' on a regular basis they either sound like the script writer for Yoda, or have about as much comprehension of English as i do of Swahili

God bless them, when they try to speak they do try hard though

Dan
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
          ... they either sound like the script writer for Yoda, or have about as much comprehension of English as i do of Swahili
          Dan
          ROTFLMAO !!!
          Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Working...
          X