Windows 2000 shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 shutdown

Hi, I have major problems when shutting down Windows 2000 pro.
    I have a Compaq Presario 5831
    AMD Athlon K-7 500MHz
    64MB RAM
    Voodoo3 (it says 1000 but i don't remember there being a Voodoo3 1000. So, it must be a 2000) AGP

Well, whenever I click Start > Shut down... > Shut down... The PC saves settings, etc... The screen goes blank, and I get a blue box with 3 smaller differently coloured boxes. green, blue and red.
    Below those little boxes, it says "Out Off Range".
    Below that it says something like "59 > 69Hz", or something like that.
    It looks something like the picture attached to this post

The PC does not shut down (turn itself off) after this. It's so annoying. Also, whenever I press my standby button on my keyboard, it just restarts my PC. I never got these problems in Windows 98 SE.

Any ideas? I have upgraded my graphics card drivers (atleast I think they are the latest)

Any ideas? *weeps*

-AC
    Attached Files

Hmmmmmmmmmm

My Win2K box has to be shut down manually once I get the "It is now safe to shut down your computer" screen.
    When you start the system up again, do you get a error message about not being properly shutdown, or that it has to scan drives prior to startup?

The screen you are showing is that the monitor is not getting a proper signal from the PC (cause it is shutting down)and IMHO nothing to worry about.

In the BIOS of your (yuck) Compaq, there might be a setting for shutting down the PC upon OS signal or something to that effect.....take a look and let us know

-Dil
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I really can't find anything. There was something like "Return to last state". I played around with it but nothing

Any suggestions? This is REALLY ticking me off!
      You have no idea how badly, truely, deeply annoying this is.

Comment

Hmmm...

I dont think that your computer can automatically power off unless ACPI is enabled. Can you check this in your BIOS?

If you go to control panel > power options
        Is hibernate support enabled? If not then your motherboard doesn't support this feature, or ACPI isn't enabled.

There was something like "Return to last state"
        Enable this.

Switch your computer on.
        Pull out the power cable.
        Put it back in again
        The computer fires up!

Magic
        Last edited by Paddy; 20 November 2001, 09:54.
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

What you're seeing is an error message thrown by the monitor itself.

What's happening is that Windows has shut down the display adapters output and the monitor is telling you there is no signal it can use.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
          X