• IE6, Download Accelerator and Freecell

I was wondering if anyone had a clue what this could be. First some info:

First time I installed I.E. 6 and the O.S. from scratch:
    Install 98SE.
    Install Promise Ultra 100 drivers.
    Install I.E. 6.
    Install all the updates for 98SE.
    Install everything else.
    After making ghost image, install Download Accelerator.

Second time I installed I.E. 6 and the O.S. from scratch:
    Install 98SE
    Install Promise Ultra 100 Drivers.
    Install all the updates for 98SE.
    Install I.E. 6.
    Install everything else.
    After making ghost image, install Download Accelerator.

If I install everything the first way, Frecell works 100%, but Download accelerator causes at least in part a massive resource leak which is only partially recovered when closing it. If I install everything the second way Download Accelerator works 100% but frecell does not always refresh properly. If I start freecell before starting I.E. 6, it works fine. If I start I.E. 6 before I start Freecell, Freecell does not start correctly. Confused yet?

Because this is Microsoft, could this be a problem with the Microsoft runtime libraries? No, I cannot upgrade to 2K. I have no money right now. I refuse to upgrade to ME or XP even though I have ME.

Since it's freecell, I am not terribly worried, but I am wondering if there is some other atypical underlying problem.

Got it. Runtime Library.

Comment

Care to elaborate?
      FT.

Comment

Riuntime Library.

I got the latest Visual C runtime library from microsoft. I searched for Visual C runtime on their download page. I found vcredist on this page consequently, installed it and rebooted.

What had happened is that if I attempted to run freecell after running I.E. 6 without rebooting, it would not refresh properly. If I ran Freecell before I.E. 6 it would work fine. As for the resource leak with Download accelerator, I might try it again, but my machine is working so I'll leave it for now.

The file is VC6RedistSetup_enu.exe which extracts to another executable which then installs the Visual C runtime. It is supposed to given out with a game program, etc . . . so that the person will have the required DLLs.

Comment

Working...
        X