Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VCRs and Firewire...? I'm a video editing newbie....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VCRs and Firewire...? I'm a video editing newbie....

I just recently got my rainbow runner g and I'm using a rather crappy vcr right now. (It doesnt start recording until about 15 seconds after I push the record button, so most of my videos get cut off at the beginning.) I was wondering what VCR you guys would suggest. I'm on a relatively tight budget... (I'm still in high school.) so big expensive really cool VCRs are out of the question I guess. Also, are there any firewire cards that work fine and are cheap? I have one of those little silver sony digital cams and I'm using my RRG to grab the video. Are there any VCRs that have firewire in/out? That would be cool too.
    Thanks!

-Matt

There are DV VCR's out there but they are very expensive.

I only use JVC and Sony decks. You can get a decent JVC with 19 micron heads for < $200 USD if you shop around.

To mitigate your problem at the beginning of your tape why not use a leader clip at the start of your project? 10-15 seconds of colorbars then a 5 second clock counting down....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

yeah i tried doing the pause-record thing, but it still did the 10 second thing. What model is the 19u JVC? I assume the smaller the number of microns, the better the head?

-Matt

Comment

I think Doc's suggestion of a 15-20 seccond "leader" is your most cost effective solution.

I believeI have the under $200 19u head JVC VCR Doc also mentioned, it was $149 at best buy just before Xmas. That said I also recently picked up a cheapo "Symphonic" $89 VCR from Best Buy. I was pleasently surprised by its playback/record quality and the fact it was stereo audio with both front and rear inputs. The JVC has much better operational controls however.

Have you tried setting your current deck into record mode and then hitting "pause" so when you actually start recording it comes out of pause mode instead of having to take up the tape. Should cut down your needed leader length considerably.

--wally.

Comment

Working...
        X