Suggest me a Video Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest me a Video Card

Well I need a PCI video card for my machine in work. Since its coming out of my own pocket (I cannot stand the on board crappy Intel video card) I would like to get something under $100 bucks. I'm looking for something with decent 2D and the abitly to play some games on it; like RTS games (you know I'm supposed to be working ) . I would love a G450 PCI, but they cost more the a G550 AGP card at online places I've been looking at. I was thinking about getting a Voodoo 3/4/5 card, but lack of support isnt' a high point. Nivdia is out since they suck and ATi isn't on the list because of shitty drivers. Any other suggestions?

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

grab yerself a Voodoo2(maybe used?) or even a pair and go SLI. Should be fine, and the built in should be fine for your web surfing etc...

best of luck. If you didnt rule out Nvidia, a mx400 card is cheap and will do all that you need. I don't like em either, but they are very cheap, and fast.
    AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Bohrn, why a Voodoo 2? Talk about outdated...

GT98, ATI doesn´t seem like a bad choice to me... drivers are getting better, and I think you´re caught by excessive rumours. 2D and 3D are very good-looking, DVD playback is the best, 3D is way faster than any Matrox card. A Radeon 32Mb DDR is cheap, I think. You gan also go for a Radeon VE DDR with Dual Display and TV-out.

Comment

I suggested the Voodoo 2 because in SLI mode it is very fast 3D wise and cheap, you can get em used. But good point on the ATI Raedon 32meg DDR card. That is better for sure. Didn't know you could get a PCI ver. Best of luck, don't get busted at work

Comment

TdB

decent 2d? on a voodoo2 sli??? ehh? ahh! hehe
          This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

the voodoo 2 has nothing to do with the 2d at all. It is all on the primary card. If you run your Voodoo2 SLI with a G200 or G400 you will have Fabulous 2D. Also depending on the monitor (both size and quality) in question, it is probably a moot point, unless he is running a Voodoo Rush board. Hehe I had one of those, oy that was uuuugly! A G4ceMX card is way better than that.

Comment

SORRY! I didn´t pay attention to the PCI part... I don´t know if there is a PCI Radeon... just go to their site.

Voodoos 2´s degrade the 2D video signal because of the passthrough cable... also, in 3D, they don´t look very nice... if you plan to play old games (+2 years old), go ahead...

Comment

I stand corrected on the video degredation due to the pass thru cable. I forgot for a moment. Sorry.

How about a Voodoo Banshee, or a Voodoo3 2000? Both could be had for cheap used, and will more than fulfill your needs. Of course the Raedon or a G400 would be far superior, but they are more expensive.

Comment

TdB

how about a g400 pci,

i don´t know what they cost though, but i heard they are almost as fast as a g400 max, and 2d and driver support is great!
                  This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Working...
                  X