g400max fan failure... or is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g400max fan failure... or is it?

beats me about this man. on my set (yes, i know you'll all kill me for having such a long sig... ) these last three days or so, i've found out that the aavid fan on the g400 max of mine will stop spinning sporadically... i mean, every 30 mins or so i need to pop and check that the fan is doing a blowjob for the g400 heatsink...

imagine the horror on the first day, when i innocently placed my finger on the back side of the g400 chip on the board just to check my system's temperature "manually", to find the g400 chip SCORCHING hot! surprisingly though, windows 98se didn't crash... that's why i was more worried cos you know... it's a possibility that the board would be running at the default 150/200 clock, and when all you have "cooling" the chip is the small AND THIN heatsink! remember to minus the fan please, the fan is not the heatsink!

i'm wondering, if the g400max has any throttling down of the clock speed automatically implemented in either software or hardware form? or anything that shuts down the power to the fan? or lowers the clockspeed of the g400 chip if its temperature is too high? remember it's a THREE pin fan we have.. not a TWO pin... so by right the blue wire *should* be for the fan speed sense signal...

i went online to hunt for aavid's information on the internet, but the model of the fan used on the g400max is 1447122, anyone got anything different? it doesn't really make enough sense though, if you think about this... agp4x if i'm not mistaken runs at 1.5v, then how the heck does a 5v fan on board the g400max gets enough power? or is that the "fan failure" i'm talking about due to insufficient voltage to the fan assy?

now i'm not taking any chances, the fan (i just looked four minutes ago) has just stopped.. and it doesn't blow even if i use my finger to try get it started. in the meanwhile i'm leaving my casing open and having a 92mm NMB fan blowing hard at both the component and non-component side of the g400max, where it can also help to cool that duron o' mine. gosh. does anyone have any idea what off-the-store heatsink/fan combination is directly "pluggable" into the g400max for cooling?

all i was asking was info about the fan, and fellow g400max users' experiences, but i guess perhaps it's also that i haven't blurted anything on any forum of late, coupled with my lymph node swelling that i confirmed yesterday that's getting into me. shucks. g400max users, do try to reply to this post k? need loads of help and support here....

p.s. the temperature now in singapore is more or less... 25 to 32 celsius degrees..... so you know how hot it is here! =p will also redo my website with a full system profile of my computer cos it's my baby =) you can check it out in advance at http://web.singnet.com.sg/~sehsuan but it hasn't seen any update for over one year now

Just replace the fan. According to Matrox (in the forums on their website) any 486 or Socket7 cpu fan will do as a replacement.

Why take a chance on screwing up your card, or at least reducing its stability, when it's so cheap to fix the problem?

Comment

G400Max fan 40x40x7
      Avvid P# 1447122
      0.13a 5vdc 0.65w
      4.5-6.0 vdc range
      6k rpm 4.8cfm
      1.9mm H2O 0.075 inches H2O
      25dBa spl
      fan speed can be measured via blue wire (tach out) and the red wire (+5vdc)

There is no throttling going on with you fan... this is a case of dried up bearings (dirt/dust contamination most likely)... either replace with another/different or apply an ultra small amount of light weight grade oil and it'll free up the bearing.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hey Steve, shame we never got the chance to meet... I use to live off of 86th street on the northside of Indy til this last April.

When MURCers meet MURCers tis a good thing... always
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Put a Thermaltake Blue Orb on the sucker, that's what I did... Fits perfectly

Comment

so i see....

well.. thanks steve for your reply. you know... it's kinda hard to remember the size of the 486fan now that it's like... history? lol. didn't seem to have a good time searching matrox's forums... considering it's also read-only..

btw, greebe, what's the line "1.9mm H2O 0.075 inches H2O" mean?

and hey, thanks tempest, i'll look around for a TT BO then =) the initial of the thermaltake sound like.... "tata, body odor!" lol... =)

once again, thanks guys! =)

Comment

btw, greebe, what's the line "1.9mm H2O 0.075 inches H2O" mean?
              It refers to the maximum pressure the fan can develope. All fans have a pressure vs. airflow characteristic graph which is important to know when developing a cooling system.

Comment

fan pressure...

greebe, you mean pressure in millimeters water/per unit area?
                i'd be more familiar (though in fact i've forgotten about it) with mmHg =) thanks!

Comment

I spec'd only what the manufacture specs... for fans it's normally water.

Comment

how did you manage to find the specs of the fan? couldn't find anything out of the internet regarding it....

Comment

heh heh... I'm known to find the impossible

Comment

No no, Greebe. People are telling you that you're known to <I>be</I> impossible.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Put an 80mm fan on there at a 45-degree angle
                          AMD Athlon-C 1200MHz
                          512MB Crucial PC133 CAS2
                          MSI K7T Turbo
                          45GB IBM Deskstar 75GXP
                          Plextor Ultraplex 40x
                          Matrox G400 16MB Dualhead
                          Matrox RRG add-on
                          19" Samsung SyncMaster 955DF
                          GNU/Linux (and Windows 2000 Professional)

Comment

How about someone reposting Maggie's pic.
                            chuck

PS I glued a 486 fan to my G400Max heat sink to replace the original when it went out.
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                            X