ATX Cases: cool vs. quiet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATX Cases: cool vs. quiet

I am juggling some hardware around to create a new PC.
    I am gonna need to get a new case though.

I am gonna be using this particular PC for DVD/Games so minimising noise is a priority.

Is there such thing as a quiet case? Are some better than others for containg the noise from the PSU/HSF/HD?

I have seen some nice HSFs out there such as the Zalman flower thingie.

Although there don't seem to be many quiet, yet powerful PSUs...

There is also going to be some warm kit in there including four SCSI HD's, a XP 1900 and a Ti500.

My modified Globalwin 802 will go in the older/noiser machine.

Can anyone recomend a better case?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

I've always been partial to the Inwin Q500 and or it's little brother the A500, but this one is just cool...

Cute too I may add
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

That scares me.... the eyes... THE EYES!!!!

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I had to find a good CPU-case that adequatly cools harddrives, and I ended up with a Lian-Li PC70. Despite the fact that is has 4 80mm casefans (+ PSU), it is much more quiet than my previous case (which had the harddrive behind a drivebaycooler - 2x40 mm fans + PSU). My drives are quite loud (Quantum Atlas 10K and IBM Ultrastar 36LZX, the former being the loudest), but now the case is not louder than my drives...

Case cools very good (the rest of my rig does not generate that much heat - it is an old PII-450), temp measurements between my 2 harddrives currently never exceeds 25° (with my previous case, with only one hd (the Quantum), it went to 37° after a short period of time).

The Lian-Li quality is outstanding (it is just a joy to work in this all aluminum case). They do have smaller cases as well, but the fact that they are entirely made up of aluminum makes them expensive...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

@Verstraete J

currently never exceeds 25°
          What is the room ambient temperature and how/where are you measuring the case ambient temps?
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I really want this to be as quiet as possible...

Presumably if I threw together some water cooling, I wouldn't need so many fans?

Does anyone know a good water cooling site/guide?
            Should I not risk turning my nice new PC into a swimming pool?

Comment

If you really want quiet, then water cooling would be a good way to go.

You have an interesting problem of having two demands on the same machine. Games will require the most cooling of anything, and DVDs will require the most quiet. You're pretty much putting together an ANTI-quiet system there. You might want to wire up an extra switch to turn off non-necessary fans for DVD viewing. Maybe even two boot modes, one of which is underclocked.

If you want a quiet and powerful fan, it will cost you a bit, but the PC Power&Cooling <I>Silencer</I> line should be the first place you look.

That Zalman cooler doesn't do that well as coolers go.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Any links?

UK vendors would be nice too

Comment

Paddy, Have you tried overclockers.co.uk. I'm not sure what they have in stock but I believe that they are based in your area and close enough for a visit.

regards MD
                  Interests include:
                  Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

I gotta agree with Wombat here... I've just watercooled my system for the same reasons and OMG what a difference it's made

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]
                      That scares me.... the eyes... THE EYES!!!!

Hehe, funny!
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Can't help you with vendors on that side of the pond.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

mdhome: Nah, they dont really do that sort of thing

cheers for the link Wombat!

Hmm... Is there any particular type of case I should get? All this kit must take up some room....

Comment

http://www.quietpc.com is a good site of you Paddy as it's UK based. It's where I bought my Zalman copper flower

Comment

Cheers for the link Steve, but QuietPC don't sell water cooled products

Comment

Working...
                              X