Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox G550 or Radeon 8500 for 2D ?

Hi,

As a G400 old user i'm quite impressed with Matrox 2D image quality and desktop speed. 2D speed and quality is important to me as i use my computer for high res (1600x1200) DTP and never play games.
    Recently i built a new computer for my home and i want to buy a new video card for it. The problem is that Matrox don't sell G400Max anymore so i must buy a G550 or any other non Matrox card.
    A week ago i was ready to get a G550. unfortunately i've read many negative comments on G550 2D signal quality and speed. My second thought was Radeon 8500 but i'm sot sure about its 2D signal quality. A few months ago i tested the simple Radeon VIVO 64 DDR and i found its signal blurry and not stable, in a few words much worst than my G400.
    So i need some advice. Is G550 much worst than 450 or 400 in quality and speed (2D)?
    Any comparison between 8550 and 550 ?
    I don't care about gaming speed or OpenGL, just desktop 2D speed and quality

Thanks

As far as I remember, Matrox isn't the fastest card in 2D since the G450 because of changing the memory path to 64bit.
    Speaking of quality, nothing beats the sharpness the coulour and signal coming from a G400.

Good luck finding one.

Comment

I don't know why several reviewers stated the G550 had "poor" image quality, I think it was down to poor system setup. I have tested the G550's image quality against a G400 MAX and a G450 at high resolutions on a high quality monitor, tests were performed at 1800x1440 on a ViewSonic P817 21" monitor. I found that there were not big differences between the three, they were very close. I would put the G400 MAX has the best, G550 second, followed up by the G450. The deciding factor came down to the rendering of very small text, the MAX produced the sharpest image. As for speed I saw no noticeable difference between the 3 boards.

Comment

>>> I don't know why several reviewers stated the G550 had "poor" image quality, I think it was down to poor system setup <<<

Interesting, because i've seen G550 in action on a same monitor (Sony F500/R FD) like mine and i think that it produced worst "small letters" than my G400. As for its speed even my local Matrox reseller told me that it is slower than G400 on 2D, although i only trust actual users
        I also visited stardock.com XPbench page where i found many benchtest results. Comparing G550 and G400 results i found that G550 is more than thirty percent slower than G400 at least using that benchmark.

Comment

Well all I can say is I have had my hands on the boards and tested them properly and they are the results I got, you asked for opinions so I gave you mine based on actual testing rather than hearsay. I did state that the G550 was slightly worse, if you can call it that, than the G400. There are differences in benchmark scores but you stated you wanted it for normal desktop 2D use and I defy anyone to distinguish the cards on the basis of speed using those criteria.

The image quality of any card can be very drastically changed by improper setup of the PC, incorrect monitor definitions, refresh rates, monitor adjustments, old driver artefacts in the system so seeing one on the same monitor as you have does not necessarily equate to being a direct comparison. Likewise beware of many reviews citing image quality, I always test on a fresh system, new install of the OS, virgin install of the cards drivers, correct monitor definitions and optimum refresh rates. Many reviewers I have seen will compare 2D image quality at 800x600 or 1024x768 and will overdrive the monitors by maxing out the refresh rate or not do them justice by not adjusting refresh rates at all and leaving them running at 60Hz. To really judge the true 2D image quality of a card in my mind it must be run at no less than 1600x1200. I've not had my hands on an ATi 8500 and certainly wouldn't claim to make any judgements on quality based on the brief viewing I have had of one.

Comment

You forgott the monitor cable and other cabels speaker radio mouse/keyboard and last but not least electrical cabels in the wall!
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Also poltergeist activity is known to have an adverse effect on image quality

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                Also poltergeist activity is known to have an adverse effect on image quality
                Not to mention alcohol!
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

or a good whack to the noggin
                  AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

It's not a MAX, but:

There's a G400 16MB Dualhead on this page.

-Steve

Comment

Get any Matrox you can afford. Even G550 is better in 2D and image quality, than any Radeon i ever tested. G550 isn't as fast or crystal clean as G400Max but it's better and has excellent drivers, something ATI never had.
                      Radeon 8500 is very fast but in 2D speed and image quality is not better than tha plain old Radeon DDR. I had a Radeon and recently tested a brand new 8500 and i compared them against my G400Max and G550.

Regards

Sakis

Comment

Newegg has a refurb g550 for only $75 shipped! Check it out here:

G550 at Newegg

I hope that helps
                        Last edited by Shifter25; 16 November 2001, 19:45.

Comment

I'd get a G450 with DDR RAM and would do something like this ...

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                          LG BH10LS38
                          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Up until a few weeks ago I was still a MURCer. Then I turned to the Radeon 8500. I use a SONY TRINITRON 21inch monitor and use resolutions up to 1600x1200 for coding and webdesign, and I must say it is pretty good, my old G400 was not that much better, or else I just don't have an eye to catch these things.
                            AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
                            Asus K7V Motherboard
                            384MB PC-100 SDRAM
                            20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
                            30GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
                            Generic DVD-ROM
                            IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
                            SB Live Value
                            Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
                            SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
                            3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
                            Windows ME
                            6.20 G400 Drivers

Comment

Working...
                            X