Time is Ripe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time is Ripe

Time is ripe for me to start thinking of buying a new video card. My Radeon is unstable whilst playing games on my new mboard (dvd's are fine though). I cant install any offical Radeon drivers for Win2k (have to use omegas) because it complains of invalid hardware (must be some shitty far east clone) and I would like dual head. I dont really feel like buying an ATI 8500 though I may change my mind when the latest drivers are released that fixes some of their broken promises. I'm also wary of buying a nVidia card in case I get one of those bummers that look like blur vision on steroids, which leaves.............. Matrox. Matrox, you dee man. Unfortunately a g450/550 doesnt float my boat.

Anyone have any serious ideas about which top end card to buy

regards md

ps this was originally going to be a reply to Peters post http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...6&goto=newpost but I thought I would like to change direction.
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

I would give you advice.. but your not in greebeland. so forget it!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
      I would give you advice.. but your not in greebeland. so forget it!
      Whats Greebeland? Is it similar to the place found in the Wizard of OZ
      Interests include:
      Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

It's next to Pitaland.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

And if you travel north a fair bit you will hit cbman-lan-wan-can-dan-peterpan-jam-land.

Its a pretty happening place on a friday night...

Lots of Nekid women.. but only when you aren't looking.
          AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
          AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
          Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
          Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

I have recently had the same problem. I decided, after much searching, to put my G400 back into my machine, but now I'm having second thoughts.

A Radeon 7500 is way cheap. So is an 8500, truth be told - $199 online. A GeFarce3 Ti is NOT cheap, but supposedly is nice and crisp (like I believe that).

I tried Kyro2 - poop. In the short term it's fine, but they started breaking the drivers and now they're firmly broken. Quicktime is a no-go for me, and they keep breaking the 2D on some systems.

ATI - well, Omega's drivers are good but I had to make tweaks to the BIOS to make the card even boot. Very strange.

Who does that leave? Nobody, that's who. Until Matrox brings out a new card, we're pretty much stuck choosing a twitchy high-end ATI, a crappy nVidia, or a slow Matrox.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

It's the General Hardware/Software forum
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

So what about moving this thread to Greebeland ?
                I would like to have some advice too, as I've got the same problem as mdhome.
                Hati

Comment

Yeah, this G400 is out of my computer as soon as I can find a worthy replacement. I <I>might</I> even shell out the big money for one of those Leadtek cards if they really do turn out to be as good as the fairy tales say.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                    It's the General Hardware/Software forum
                    Sorry Greebe, I was a little slow off the mark on that one. Dont suppose you could relocate it to GHS. That would then provide you with the opportunity to lend some helping advice

regards MD
                    Interests include:

Comment

I didn't know Greebe had agoraphobia
                      FT.

Comment

I just built a completely new system and I can tell you now that the GeFoce3 Ti500 looks great! (It was $350 so I guess it should!) I am convinced that there is NOTHING that this card can't do!

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

Dual Head?
                          FT.

Comment

Kindness
                            What is the quality of dual head like on this card? The reason I ask is that I want very good dual head and superb visuals. I have both a 21 and 19 inch monitor and want to run them both at their best.

regards MD

[edit]
                            Tony you beat me to it
                            Interests include:

Comment

Blimey a graphics card that can do the washing drive to work.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X