Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no dual dvi under XFree86 4.1?

Hello,

I am thinking about getting the g550 for it's dual dvi capabilities, but I notice that in the readme for the latest drivers I see this information:

"The DualHead Multi-Display - Merged feature is available on G450-and G550- based products only. Please take note that this feature does not support DVI monitors in XFree86 4.1.0."

Does this mean what I think it means? I must be running XFree86 4.0.x? If so, what happened that would cause this loss of functionality? And is there a noticeable difference in quality between digital and analog?

Thanks for any info.

felix

im in the same boat my friend.

i tihnk i may just get the g550 to power my 2 SGI 1600SWs in analog since the card can support 1600x1024 n 2 monitors.

I am not even sure if this is true btw.
    My g400 cannot do 1600x1024 on one monitor and 1280x1024 on the other without having interference on the main monitor.

the monitor does not do above 60hz.

this is so gay!

I would buy the dual g550 if the card could do 1600x1024 at 60hz in dvi but it seems that it does not.

weird cause the g400 daughter card supported this resolution.

but since dvi is not supported in linux as of right now, it all seems pointless to me. The g550 dual dvi seems pretty bad for tv out and dvd playback since u have 2 buy these 2 separately as upgrade bundles. The card is already 199 at the matrox store, with the upgrade its going to be almost geforce3 prices!!

The stores around here are probably going to sell for around 150 and up, with the upgrade bundle, im guessing it will be close to 200. A regular g550 is around 90 bucks, but i have heard that some do not come with all the accessories (such as cables). Well, what i am getting at is that for the price that the dual dvi card is going for, i think that it should at least be able to do dvi in linux and do it at a higher resolution then 1280x1024 (ppl have been telling me is a limit of DVI). I can deal with no tv out or dvd playback but linux support is a must IMHO.

i dont know, if u find out nething more please post.

as for me, it looks like vanilla g550, unless it cannot support 1600x1024 in both outputs, then it will be returned!!
    -----------------------------------
    WHATS A JAVA?
    -----------------------------------

Comment

but since dvi is not supported in linux as of right now, it all seems pointless to me. The g550 dual dvi seems pretty bad for tv out and dvd playback since u have 2 buy these 2 separately as upgrade bundles. The card is already 199 at the matrox store, with the upgrade its going to be almost geforce3 prices!!
      No you dont you can get the OEM dual dvi version of the card for a couple of $ more then the normal version!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

No you dont you can get the OEM dual dvi version of the card for a couple of $ more then the normal version!
        Wait, do you mean to say there's two versions of the hardware? One with dual dvi outputs and one with only analog outputs? I did not see that anywhere, I thought they all had 2 dvi outputs?

If I get the OEM dual dvi version, will XFree86 4.1 support that? I, fortunately, do not need 1600 resolution as I'll only be getting 17" flat panels so 1280 is fine. (sorry supernaut!

Thanks for any information!

felix

Comment

The standard G500 has 1 analogue and one DVI/anlogue conection, there is also a dual DVI version.

Comment

Normal card

Dual DVI card
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
            X