Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What program can make chunks instead of use OpenDML?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What program can make chunks instead of use OpenDML?

I asked this in another post and no one seems to be helping, so I guess i'll start a seperate one dedicated to it.

What i wanted to know is if there was a way to make virtualdub make chunks instead of use OpenDML becuase i use fat32 and once it hits 4gb it stops recording. Or if there is a way for MSP to do it.

I'd use PC-VCR but PC-VCR makes each chunk a different framerate becuase of 1 or 2 dropped frames (29.970, 29.968) and it does not allow me to append the files together.

For recording AVI_IO will capture serial clips of whatever size you choose up to 4 gigs each. It can even span the capture over several drives.

For saving out edited projects you might want to split your project into modules and save them out separately.

I tried a different tack recently: I installed the Winternals NTFS for Win9x drivers.

Combined with some files copied over from a working NT4 installation this allows you to access NTFS partitions from Win9x. You do have to format the drive from NT4 however. I tried a FAT32-to-NTFS conversion with Partition Magic 5, but the conversion was faulty. This was the first time PM failed me :-(

I have a multi-boot system so trying this was easy, but one could GHOST their Win9x setup and install NT4 just to format the NTFS volume if they needed to. That or they could get a friend to do it on their NT4 machine (and provide the necessary files (G)).

The end result once it's up & running: no limit on file sizes from within Win9x.

Performance wise the sequential reads are blazing fast while the sequential writes are about 85%-90% the speed of a FAT32 non-emulated partition. If you have fast drives this setup can be quite useful.

I've been testing this with a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40 ATA66 set up as a SPAN drive on my Fasttrak66's leftover connection. The other 3 have similar drives set up in a RAID0.

The jury is still out but it's looking promising.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 11 April 2000).]

Comment

Phire: Look into Virtualdub's help system for a mechanism known as a "spill system". It allows pretty much unlimited captures. (I've done up to 1 hour captures with perfect synch with virtualdub) It will break up the files into 2 gb or whatever other size you want as you capture. I think AVI_IO is a bit more refined at doing this, but even as a registered AVI_IO user, I find I generally use Virtualdub instead because of all of its other capture options.

Comment

Ok i've read into this before but I still can't figure out how to make it work properly :P. In the Help file it said that it's used so that when your remaining HD space is down to a specified number it switches to another drive and makes a capture file on specified spill drive.

This didn't sound like the purpose I had in mind, but i guess i misunderstood, can you explain in further detail how to get it to work.

Comment

Phire:
          Go into the Spill System setup, add as many "spill drives" as you want to. (meaning paths you want to use for the capture)
          Choose what the max file size for the segments will be in the "Try not to create AVI files larger than" box, then select "Enable Spill System" from the Capture menu. This should capture unlimited file sizes assuming the rest is configured correctly.

Comment

Working...
          X