Quantum/maxtor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quantum/maxtor?

have maxtor bought out quuantum and if so when?
    i was just really suprised to see some scsi atlas 10k's for sale under a maxtor name and was wondering if it was a mistake.
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Nope, the boxed Maxtor I bought two weeks ago had a Quantum Fireball in it.
    chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yes.

Yes, Maxtor bought Quantum oh... last year already? Or very early this year.

Which means yet ANOTHER perfectly good brand will be destroyed by a smaller, shittier bargain brand's incompetence.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Re: Yes.

Originally posted by Gurm
        Yes, Maxtor bought Quantum oh... last year already? Or very early this year.

Which means yet ANOTHER perfectly good brand will be destroyed by a smaller, shittier bargain brand's incompetence.

- Gurm
        Maxtor has made good hds in the last 5 years or so and the worst hd ever made was in fact done by Quantum remember the bigfoot (Had to be run in PIO 3 mode or it slowly destroyed itself!)!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

From what I have noticed... Maxtor Absorbed Quantum pretty quick and has migrated alot of things to Quantum design..

Infact.. the New Hot Maxtor D740X runs (and looks) almost identical to the Quantum Fireball AS.

Plus the D540X Series have different versions.. one that has quantum parts and one that doesn't.

I am looking at possibly getting a set of 40GB D740X's or maybe a single WD1000BB-SE 100GB drive.

My boss said I could pick something out for a christmas bonus...
          AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
          AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
          Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
          Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Re: Re: Yes.

Originally posted by Guru

Maxtor has made good hds in the last 5 years or so and the worst hd ever made was in fact done by Quantum remember the bigfoot (Had to be run in PIO 3 mode or it slowly destroyed itself!)!
            AHA!

So thats way my boss curses every time he ses a Quantim bigfoot drive

Why am I then not surpriced to remember that Compaq was fond of using those drives
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

When I opened the case to my mother's Compaq, I was prepared to see some pretty horrid things.

SiS chipset: <I>"yech, I wish that wasn't there."</I>
              Fanless CPU heatsink: <I>"you've GOT to be kidding me."</I>
              5-1/4" Quantum Bigfoot: <I>"Oh Shit! This sucks."</I>
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have a 12GB Quantum bigfoot here, that has provided me with years of flawless service - at its maximum rated speed. I have NO idea what this problem you refer to is.

And Maxtor has absolutely NOT made good hardware in the last 5 years, unless you count drives that run slower than other brands, have more errors, and make SNAP SNAP SNAP BANG! noises as "good".

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Not trying to pick a fight here, but I've had the exact opposite experience. I HATE Quantums. I sold PCs for a year, and if any drive was gonna die unexpectedly, develope bad sectors within a week, run too hot, and sound like a 1970s truck with no muffler, it was a Quantum Fireball. Hell, even Fujitsus gave me less headaches. I have 3 Maxtors in my current machine and love em dearly. They dont bench as fast as Quantums, but they're quite quick, quiet, run cool, etc. Wouldn't trade em for anything, except maybe for an IBM Deskstar. My $0.02.

Bart
                  Bart

Comment

Gurm exactly how many computers do you build every year???? In the last 5 years I have only had 2 or 3 maxtors (of about 400+) fail on me and only one of them have been under the 3 year waranty!
                    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

yup, I have to agree with others here

often you hit the nail on the head Gurm, but this time I think (/guess) that your opinion is based slightly too much on some bad personal experiences with Maxtor.

In fact, I don't think that there's much difference at all in the speed/reliability factor of harddrives from different manufacturers over the past couple of years. Almost each manufacturer released a drive model that took the speed-crown at the time it was released, and almost every manufacturer has had a series of drives that had very bad reliability problems. That includes IBM, WD and Quantum at the very least (the bigfoot _really_ was a bad series of drives... just do some searches about it's problems on the web. You'll see that there were loads of problems with it. Afaik, the most problems were with the 2.0GB version of that drive).

I've got 4 HDDs right now in use, all from different manufacturers. They all perform properly, except the IBM SCSI drive that makes weird clicking noises... I expect it to fail soon, but that's no problem since there still is over 3 years warrantee on the drive (got to love the 5 year warrantee on SCSI drives).

Comment

The HD market sure has been volatile lately.

Maxtor has been quietly putting out good HDs for a while now. Usually not speed performers, but great bang for the buck, and sometimes the first to have the latest largest size.

WD: They sucked for a long long time. Then they had IBM drives. Now they have some of the top performers out there.

IBM: "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM." Well, now their Deskstar gxp lines are great performers, but I don't know how they let themselves get to the state that you have to worry about buying "one of the good ones". And now that they have halted their cross-shipping at least once, their customer support is becoming questionable as well.

Seagate: Doesn't seem to have changed. Anecdotal legends, and contrasting horror stories. They've had some goofs though. Wasn't it some Seagate drives that couldn't share the IDE bus?

Quantum: Never owned one (unlike all of the above). But the Bigfoots did have some really bad models. Even on these forums, some people have had to return many of them, but others have had them be the best drives ever.

Fujitsu: It seems that nobody's a big fan of these.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The last year or so I haven't built THAT many.

Before that, I worked as primary tech in a shop - and we refused to sell Maxtor. Too many drives in the 10-20GB range making nasty snapping noises and expiring (not quietly).

Of course that was the same period where IBM's spontaneously erased themselves. And during this selfsame period, people complained fairly continuously about WD, but my experience showed that they were always pretty good.

*shrug*

- Gurm

Comment

I think that if you've had a bad run on a particular brand of hard disks you tend to keep a low opinion of them and avoid later models because of it. Back in the pre IDE days you didn't have a lot of choice of which drives to buy, it usually came down to Seagate of Miniscribe, (who later became Maxtor), both were equally unreliable. Later on came Conner, (later bought by Seagate), who compared to the others were great drives then the others caught up. Western Digital have had a patchy history although they seem pretty good now. Fujitisu have improved greatly over the years but are still not at the top yet. I've always had good experiences with Quantum drives and I've still got a 240Mb one lying around somewhere which is running fine. Up until recently IBM drives have had a good reputation but that seems under question now. I'm not a big fan of Maxtor's but that's based on problems with their drives years ago and I haven't had cause to use them since, with Maxtor now owning Quantum that may change. I think all manufacturers have gone through bad patches during their history and those times tend to stick in peoples memories.
                            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

My problem with Maxtor is that they seem to be interested in being the Kia of hard drive companies. "Boy it's cheap and look at our kickass 'warranty', just don't try to use it too much or cash in on the 'warranty' or you might be sorry..."

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                              X