Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID 0 setup

Hello,

Can u guys advise on the relaibilty of a RAID 0 setup, what are the chances of things going pear shaped if the drives used are only used for video editing and photo editing, storage drives could be different for safety [to transer to after the work is done!]

I know Doc, has 4X60G in a RAID 0 setup... any comments doc ?

Also i would like to Know how to setup RAID 0... detailed instructions if possible, and the benifits of addinga 3 rd drive, i'll be using 2X80GB maxtor D740Z drives.

this will be on a new Athalon machine ! not the stinky one i have now!!!

thnx
    Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
    PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
    SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
    IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
    IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
    Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
    Marvel G200 TV
    Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
    HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
    Creative Infra48 CD ROM
    Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
    Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
    21' Samsung Syncmaster 1000p
    Firewire card
    Mini USB hub
    8 port Compex 10/100 hub
    Sandisk Reader - USB
    Cordless Logitec Mouse
    Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
    HP 1220 C - A3 printer

I use Two ibms in raid0 to get maximum performance and size.

One of the drives broke, and I still got all of my data off it (the failure was not complete)

The second time one of the drives whent bezerk and I got most of my data of it.

And I'm still not particulary frightened to have my backupp archive on the raid...

but i usualy backs up to cd every 3-6 month.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

With RAID 0 always assume the worst, assume that something will go wrong, that one of the array's drives will fail and all will be lost.
      If you assume this and take the backup's to go with it, then nothing bad can happen to you!

In reality, HD's are a 100x more reliable now than they have ever been, chances are your RAID 0 array will run fast and without a single problem for years.
      Personally I can't afford the down-time associated should a problem occur, so I've put 4 60GB HD's in a RAID 0+1 array giving me the ability to loose any one drive and certain combinations of two drives and still continue without the loss of anything.
      It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
      Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

I've had 2x40 gig IBM's running in a RAID 0 array for about 5 months now. Not very long mind you, but in that time I have had no problems to speak of.

Comment

I have 8 systems running Fasttrak RAID's of various types, ranging from FT66's to the new TX4 dual ASIC PCI33/66 card.

All but one rig runs Maxtor drives with the remaining one running IBM's. The oldest setup has been running Maxtors for three years without a failure of any kind.

Given the recent reliability issues with IBM's I'd hesitate to recommend using them at this time.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
          X