Quick Troubleshooting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Troubleshooting question

This past sunday My Old PC died and went to Heaven...I'm still at a loss as what happened to it. I transported it up to my girlfriend place Saturday night and went to boot it up, but I didn't get any POST beeps. I removed everything..and went with the basics..CPU, memory and Graphics card. Still Nothing. I went as far as to remove the Memory and Graphics card and still didn't get any POST beeps. I'm figuring that the Board went bad (My Trusty old Abit BH6), but I'm also wondering if maybe the CPU went on it some how on the trip up there. I was running a Celeron2-533 with a slotkey and a Alpha heatskink on the BH6. I dont have access to another Slot or Socketed Intel CPU to test the Motherboard out. Would I get a POST beep code if the CPU went?

Anyway my G400Max is gonna have a new home with a ECS 7S5A and a Duron 950 running it

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

If there are no POST beeps, the problem is either with the CPU, mobo or power supply.

Comment

hmm Power Supply works fine...powers up the drives, fans etc....

So I guess I'm still stuck with either the Motherboard or CPU

Scott
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Snake
        If there are no POST beeps, the problem is either with the CPU, mobo or power supply.
        Yep. This is exactly the same thing I experienced when the power supply in my Addtronics case went out overnight. I leave my PC on all the time, and I'd just finished a 2AM night of UT (ah-hmm..), went to bed, left for work (I usually have the blank screen screensaver, so I didn't pay any attention to it), then realized that the system was off when I came home. After much hair pulling, I tested it with the power supply from my wife's PC (a pain in the rump pulling it out of hers just to connect it to mine for a minute, then reinstall it in hers once I was sure mine was bad. But at least I didn't have to actually dismount mine- I simply plugged her mobo connector to my mobo, and connected my devices to her power connectors, with the power supply next to my case, then plugged a power cord into the back of her supply.)

At least it was cheaper to replace than the CPU or the motherboard would have been. Good luck!
        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
        Gainward Ti4600
        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

just a shot in the dark, but did you try unplugging the cpu and reseating it? Making sure that it and everything else is seated solidly? With no gunk or debris in the slots or on the contacts?

Sometimes when u move a machine, vibrations or knocks can loosen stuff up. Or get seated dust or hair loose and in where we don't like it.

Like I said tho, just a thought, u probably already did that.
          AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X