Riven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riven

Having just completed Exile, I thought I'd fire up Riven and get it completed. I'm having a graphical problem where there's an inverted color box around the cursor. I'm running W2KAS with PD 5.72 . I updated with the Riven 1.02 patch but it didn't help. I also tried Win98 and Win95 compatibilty mode but it didn't help either.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

I would try:
    1: Playing with your color depth.

2: Toggling the "Hardware Cursor Acceleration" in PowerDesk.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

No luck. I went from 10x7x32 to 10x7x16 on the desktop. The game only plays in 6x4. I also tried disabling "Use hardware to draw color mouse pointer" which is what I assume you were referring to. I also have to relogon/reboot in order to launch the game a second time or things get really messed.

As a side note ... I noticed that it was over two years ago when I last was playing this game. Guess its about time I get back to it to finish it off.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Does the game run fine otherwise? Is it just the freaky cursor that's giving you problems? Will the Quicktime movies work okay? {<-- might be a problem with that if you can't run QT}

We have problems with most of the Myst games under plain Win98/ME to give you an example. Last time I played Myst I had to revert back to a very old driver on my G400 Max to get it to work normally.

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

The cursor block is the only problem I have on the first launch of the game. I do notice that the longer animations (traveling) isn't quite as smooth as I remember but that was on Win98 and before my Max. I'll give it a try under Win98 again sometime. Exile played perfectly on my system. I haven't tried the first Myst under W2KAS.
          Last edited by xortam; 6 November 2001, 11:34.

Comment

I do notice that the longer animations (traveling) isn't quite as smooth as I remember but that was on Win98 and before my Max.
            Something that struck me and might be totally off: Does DirectX hold all of the innovations that it has in all of its versions or does it get better versions of that in it's next Dx version? Try using an older Dx version.

Hardware acceleration is also a thing to look at, mouse acceleration is the second.

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Has anybody tried Riven under W2K, regardless of which graphics card you used?

Comment

I'll test it under Win2k for you

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Okay, went back through the drivers, am currently stuck at 5.20 which still has the white square around the pointer. Although this time it stays white all the time

Riven was made for the Win9x market I believe, which doesn't include Win2k, as you know

I only have 5.14 and 5.11 left to try... tomorrow

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                  X