Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a DVD/DivX/MP3 player

Hi,

I want to build a custom computer for playing DivX/DVD/(S)VCD movies and MP3/AudioCDs. I could ofcourse buy a DVD player but I wouldn't get DivX playback, and it's fun building yourself.

I was thinking of having it under my TV instead of a VCR, in a MicroATX desktop case painted black.

I need some opinions on my hardware I've chosen and some suggestions.

This is the hardware I was thinking of using:

Motherboard: ASUS A7V133-VM MicroATX SocketA with integrated sound and graphics (Savage 4), it has 1 AGP slot and 3 PCI slots.

CPU: AMD Duron 800 MHz

Memory: 256 MB PC133 SDRAM

Harddisk: Don't know! I need a CHEAP, silent harddisk. 8GB is more than enough, 5400RPM, but the smallest I've been able to find is 20GB!

DVD/CD Player: Pioneer DVD-106S 16x/40x Slot-in, has gotten great reviews.

Soundcard: I could use the built-in, but I think I'll get a SB Live! 5.1, they're cheap now.

Graphics: Here I don't know really. I won't use the integrated since it doesn't have a TV-out. I have a SIS 6326 AGP graphics card with 8MB memory and it has DVD acceleration. If it's good or not I don't know, and I don't know if it can handle DivX movies.
    Since I will buy a new card for my computer I have a spare G400MAX but I have no idea if it has good TV-out and DVD playback. Someone please let me know.

CPU Cooling: I need a good fan/heatsink that make very, very little noise, if you know of a such cooler let me know.

IR and Remote: Where can I get IR receivers for PC? How much do they cost?

Finally, cabling: I've got two PAL TVs, I'll use just one.
    Both have SCART connections. For the G400 I have the TV-out cable with S-VIDEO OUT and VIDEO OUT.

The SIS card has a S-VIDEO OUT connection on the back, just like the Matrox cable, I also got a short cable that has S-VIDEO on one end and it plugs into the S-VIDEO OUT and another type, like the Matrox yellow VIDEO OUT cable on the other end.

Since they're really short I need new cables that are much longer.

I also want to mention that my TV has something called "Cinch input sockets" (?) Those are looking like this:

One is round with a couple of holes, it has a big S next to it.
    One is just a round hole, it has Video next to it.
    Then there are two more connectors that look just like the Video one, only they have Audio R and L next to them.

I would like a cable that takes input from my sound card and graphics card that I can just plug into the SCART if that's possible. Please enlighten me on cabling! I'm completly lost

That's all for now!
    QDI KinetiZ 7E, Athlon XP 1800+, 1 GB PC133 SDRAM, ATi Radeon 9600 PRO 128 MB, SB Live! 5.1, Memorex 40x CD-RW, NEC ND-2500A DVD-/+RW, 120 + 80 GB Seagate Barracuda, Windows XP SP1, 17" LG L1710B TFT

For HDDs, I'm currently running both Maxtor and Quantum drives (arent they made by the same people now anyway?) and they're cheap, quiet, fast and so far reliable.
    I've got a Pioneer DVD106 in my Duron based system with a G400max and DVD playback is perfectly acceptable - no lost frames, glitches or anything.

I dont know about the TV out, I've never tried it.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

You should look into getting an "NLX" form factor case and motherboard. Think "Sun Sparc station." That's probably more the size you're looking for.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
      X