access to forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• access to forums

Anyone else noticed that they can't access the forums with Opera? Get a message that it can't load the page properly.

I know that the coloured side bars is a IE (NS6?) only feature! so that might be causing some problems!

What Opera ver. are you using?
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I`m using Opera 5.12, and i`ve experienced a couple of problems the last couple of days ... ie Opera reloads the page 5-6 times, some problems when posting replies etc ... but it seems they`re gone now ...
      Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Hello Victorian,

You can fix the Opera problems by going to:
        File > Prefs > Connections > Set maximum connections to server = 2

The HTTP spec states that 1.0 should be limited to 4 connections at once and 1.1 to 2 connections at once. Opera ignores these limits and hammers the server hard, opening too many connections.

Guru: All non-Microsoft browsers ignore SCROLLBAR-BASE-COLOR,
        just like they ignore unrecognized HTML. Only problem with
        SCROLLBAR-BASE-COLOR is that it doesn't validate.

Comment

Nope, still doesn't work (Opera 5.12). Get a message: Repeated attempts failed to load this page completely. There may be a problem on the server.

Comment

OK, it seems that the forums are now insisting on planting a cookie(s) in order to be viewed. Out of curiosity I disabled cookie pal and suddenly the page loads just fine. Me not happy when forced to accept cookies by *any* site.

Comment

Moved to site feedback for obvious reasons
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The forums have always worked by the use of cookies, both vBulletin and previously UBB, that's how it tracks who is logged in, when you last visited etc all those little features that everyone likes, it's nothing sinister. If you object to it disable cookies but remember you will lose a large number of features of the forums. Cookies are not the tools of evil they have simply been misused in places, the site is not forcing you to do anything, you visit this site by choice and this is how things work, no conspiracy I'm afraid.

Comment

Not claiming/suspecting that there's any 'conspiracy' involved. I'm just trying to figure out why I can't access the forums with my favorite browser this week, when it worked fine last week.

BTW, I understand just fine why/how cookies work. When I actually log in to post/reply to a message I have no problems with accepting the appropriate cookie(s).

I'll leave it at that.

Comment

BTW, apologies for starting this thread in the wrong forum.

Comment

Working...
                    X