Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinOnCD and CDDB and Roxio

I use WinOnCD 3.8

I know, Nero is great also, but until WinOnCD is no longer supporting my next drive or operating system, I'm gonna use it.

This might be old news to everyone, but here goes anyway

After Roxio bought CeQuadrat, apparently the license to access the cddb servers (you know, that nifty part of the app that automagically names all the audio files from known CD's) was supposed to be renewed, like in May or some time thereabouts. Apparently, Roxio told CDDB.com (now Gracenote.com, something to do with the King??) to take a hike. Something like licensing fees went up, and a requirement that the accessing app prominently displayed the CDDB logo while retrieving data. WinOnCD does NOT display the logo, and I guess Roxio had no intention of changing that (actually, I'm glad they have kept their grimy mitts OFF the proggie ).

As far as I can tell, the best alternative to CDDB.com seems to be Freedb, apparently part of the GNU project (?)(I'll have to learn more about this later). The trouble is, WinOnCD does not allow you to specify the server for CDDB access. It will always go to 'cddb.cddb.com'. And since the app must identify itself to the CDDB server, it hangs up as soon as it 'sees' the app is WinOnCD, since Roxio did not renew and change the app to display the logo.

I figured I was stuck, then whipped out my hex editor and found the .dll that determines the CDDB server, changing it from 'cddb.cddb.com' to 'us.freedb.org'. This is suggested on their website, and works like a charm.

The other method they suggest is to add entries to the 'hosts' file, so that when 'cddb'cddb.com' is called, it is routed to the Freedb.org servers instead. Personally, I liked the idea of the modified .dll file best, and that is what I am using.

Bottom line is this: If you want CDDB access in WinOnCD, you are gonna have a few changes to make.

1) Add a line to your 'hosts' file which forces any call to the cddb.com database to be rerouted to the freedb.org database-

64.71.163.204 cddb.cddb.com

OR...

2) Hack the .dll file to refer to 'us.freedb.org' instead of 'cddb'cddb.com'. The file requiring the changes is 'c2cddb.dll'. I have the hacked version (took 1.5 minutes) for WinOnCD 3.8. If anyone is interested, would be happy to send it to ya (85K or so, pretty small). If you have an older version of WinOnCD, you can hack it youself, or if that makes you paranoid, shoot me an email. Glad to help out.

Nice to have the CDDB function back

Note: Posted this at ARS, but most of the WinOnCD fanatics seem to have defected. I know there were several here still using WinOnCD, so I thought I'd help.

Hi dude, nice tip since I also use WinOnCd 3.8, could you e-mail me that file @ fusion_82@hotmail.com

BTW, I checked their site ( http://www.roxio.de/ ) and Service Release 2 for WinOnCd 3.8 is out, and also WinOnCd 5.0 has been released! I wonder if the main program is still in english or have they gone all german now...

Thanks for the tip
    QDI KinetiZ 7E, Athlon XP 1800+, 1 GB PC133 SDRAM, ATi Radeon 9600 PRO 128 MB, SB Live! 5.1, Memorex 40x CD-RW, NEC ND-2500A DVD-/+RW, 120 + 80 GB Seagate Barracuda, Windows XP SP1, 17" LG L1710B TFT

Comment

I sent the file, but then saw you are in Sweden, so I suggest you do this:

Load up an audio CD

Get the track view in the upper pane

Right-click on a music track and select 'Internet Retrevial Settings'

Click on the 'CDDB' tab and select 'Get new site list from this Server'.

Select a server a bit closer to you...the US server is the default and might be a bit slow for ya...

Comment

Will do, got your file, thanks!
        QDI KinetiZ 7E, Athlon XP 1800+, 1 GB PC133 SDRAM, ATi Radeon 9600 PRO 128 MB, SB Live! 5.1, Memorex 40x CD-RW, NEC ND-2500A DVD-/+RW, 120 + 80 GB Seagate Barracuda, Windows XP SP1, 17" LG L1710B TFT

Comment

Working...
        X