ADSL speeds exaggerated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADSL speeds exaggerated?

Okay, I told everyone in my neighborhood that I have this speedy 1Mbit/256kbit (happy Randy?) ADSL connection.

I don't have a complaint about it, otherwise I would be in Greebe's Kingdom

I have a question though... is it normal that speeds go up these days? When downloading I usually ended up with around 100 to 130kbytes a second...

But lately I find that I am upgrading apperently. Getting 300k to almost 800k/second downloads...

Check the pics downstairs and tell me what is "wrong" with my adsl

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

733kB/sec would put you at around 6mB/sec. Highly unlikely. You'd have to have G.dmt running right at its peak in order for you to get that kind of download. Considering packet overhead, I'm 99% sure that it's not what's happening.

<A HREF="http://dslcenter.netopia.com/netopia/adsl.html">handy link</A>.

Since we can't see what you're downloading, it's either highly compressible data, or a bug in that Mozilla build.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

lol, the second one was the beta server 1.29 for Operation Flashpoint
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hehe. It's not totally impossible. @Home was like that for me any time I happened to be hitting a site or file that had been cached by their proxy server. If your ISP has a proxy in place and someone else on your network has hit some of the same sites/files you're getting, when you get them they get sent straight from the proxy cache (this also assumes that the proxy is on a 'local' part of the network).

For instance, all my MS downloads were cached when I first got Cox@Home's service in Newport News Virginia. Since their proxy servers were local (in the city), they were acting as if they were in the same room, and I got 300-400k/sec throughputs (trust me, watching the number blur in the hundreds column on a download is a real thrill, heh, even now).
        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
        Gainward Ti4600
        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Um, as far as the 733kB/sec goes, I have no clue. I commonly saw 3mBit/sec throughputs on the proxy cached data though.
          "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
          Gainward Ti4600
          AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

3mb would be one thing, but Jord is getting ~100% of DSL's theoretical bandwidth. Even if he were wired straight to the cache proxy, it would still be suspicious.
            Last edited by Wombat; 2 November 2001, 23:04.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

How dare you disgrace Joel's name like that Rob!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

Working...
                X