My new Notebook!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Notebook!!!

I am replacing my one and a half year old Fujitsu-Siemens Liteline.

F-S Liteline specs:
    AMD K6-2 400 (6*66)
    160MB ram (512kb cache)
    4GB HDD
    12,1 inch DSTN (must be a acrynom for a very bad screen technology) max 800*600
    24x CD-ROM
    Integrated Win(Shit)Modem!

With a HP(Heavy Problems) omnibook xe3!
    Intel P3 850!! (8,5*100)
    256 MB PC100
    20GB hdd
    14 inch TFT max 1024*768
    8xDVD
    Integrated Win(probably also shit) Modem
    Acton NIC 10/100! (Works great! )

Technical specs on HP's site

This might not be the best Notebook on the market, but it was the best I could find at the moment at the price I could afford...

Last edited by Technoid; 9 November 2001, 15:40.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Well its still better than my home PC

Lucky bastard
    Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Ever thought of this one? Cost about 2000 Euro here.

And the GeForce2Go definitely is better than the S3/SIS crap of other notebooks...

EDIT: Sorry, got the price wrong.
      Last edited by Indiana; 4 November 2001, 14:27.
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

Unfortunatly this is a deal with my employer and I have to shose one from our list of supluyers...

But it could be worse, In my new laptop I have S3 and it is a recognised brand name....

In Fujitsiemens new laptops they use a vid chip that is previously unknown...

Still havent got it...

Longing....
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

My ThinkPad T21 (P3-800/256MB/20GB/DVD/14.1") also has the S3 Savage IX8 chip in it. It's decent, but don't expect to play many games on it. It can play counter-strike decently, but nothing any more extreme. The "shared" video memory sucks too. Viewing a very large image with ACDSee is dog slow, compared to my slower desktop machine with a real vid card.

At least work paid for it, I would have spent my $5000 CDN on something with a better vid chip. It's certainly adequate for work though.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

The modems and NICs that HP has been using in their laptops are 3COMs. That's what's in my sister's laptop. If that's what you consider shit, well....
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              The modems and NICs that HP has been using in their laptops are 3COMs. That's what's in my sister's laptop. If that's what you consider shit, well....
              Who are you refering to?

Comment

Originally posted by omegaRED
                Well its still better than my home PC

Lucky bastard
                Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                  Oh...

You were refering to me!?!

3Com nic's are top of the line

But in my HP the nic is an Acton.

Nic's that are also modems are usualy not top of the line.

90% of all built in modems I have tested in laptops were pos!!

And why were they pos?

They were that beacase they were "Winmodems"

Comment

After a lot of agonising delays I atlast have it!

And this Laptop surprice me!

Big clear screen!

3+ hours of battery!

DVD that can play CD's without haing to start the Laptop!

The built in Acton Nic Is a fast one also.

Good speakers!

Button to disable the Touch-pad!

Every kind of conectors (excluded FireWire)!

And it is hardly any heavier than my old laptop!!

Comment

See...sometimes HP does cool stuff.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I worked on an HP notebook today... they aren't bad looking.. I like the styling better than the Thinkpads.
                        AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                        AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                        Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                        Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Battery time!

Now I have checked battery time!

3 hours and a odd amont of minutes!!

And that was during instalation of all the apps that i use.

Lots of hd activity and reboots!

I also checked the memmory banks!

HP did the right thing and used one 128MB sodim instead of two 64 as I have seen so many times in other laptops!

This one uses intels speedstep system.

Can it be used to realy lower the cpu speed and get realy long uptimes?

Comment

This one uses intels speedstep system.
                            Can it be used to realy lower the cpu speed and get realy long uptimes?
                            No, not really. SpeedStep only drops the frequency by a few hundred MHz, and the voltage by few hundred mV. It's more useful for keeping the laptop cooler than it is for extending battery life. Your CPU isn't really the Big Drain on the battery. HDs take power, CD/DVD really take power, but the active screens are usually what really do you in.

When it comes to power conservation, it looks like AMD's PowerNow really has SpeedStep beat.

Comment

The HDD in the HP laptop is a IBM Travelstar
                              Model : DJSA-220

And it is driving me nuts!!

It emits a "Seek" sound (or the sound the hdd does when it comes out of sleep) every other minute!

That sound is enough similar to the dreaded "Hdd failure" sound to make me get a stumage ache...

My theory is that the drive goes into light powerdown as soon as it don't get a request, but any kind of ide activity (even requests not directed to the hdd) makes it go to high power again.

thought's, ideas ?

Comment

Working...
                              X