Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G550 + XFree864.1.0 = slow OpenGL

Damnit.
    I use a Matrox G400 at work, and I installed the 1.4.3 Matrox mga drivers there (for use with 4.1.0). I made sure that the agpgart and mga kernel modules are loading (and verified that DRI is activated by reading /var/log/XFree86.0.log after starting X), and compiled in MTRR for good measure.
    This isn't a problem: I can play Unreal Tournament, or use xscreensaver's GL modules fine. I get about 15 frames per second on UT's medium detail settings, and 20+ with tuxracer.

At home, I just bought a G550. Using the same compile of XFree86, made sure the kernel has agpgart and mga modules (tried both compiled-in and as modules), copied the XF86Config-4 file from my work machine, verified that the "(II) MGA(0): [DRI] installation complete" "(==) MGA(0): Direct rendering enabled" lines appear, and the MTRR are being used. tuxracer gives me 0.5-0.25 frames per second, and the xscreensaver modules are godawful slow.

I feel like I've paid extra for the Brooklyn Bridge. Where's the "okay, it's slow, this is what you do" documents I'm missing? Everyone tells me this only happens if X is missing the DRI, but I can see in the log files that it's being used.

Man oh man you people suck. Next time someone with my problem comes around, tell them:

- run glxgears (comes in xbase-clients package for Debian). What's the frame rate like? If it's less than 300fps, you aren't even doing software rendering right. [I was getting sometimes 50, mostly 60fps]
    - run ldd `which glxgears`. Check each of these libraries, make sure they're the right versions.

In my case, I found out that /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 was a link to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.1052 -- a leftover from having installed an NVidia card earlier.

Comment

Yeah, we suck. We're just a user group. Don't bitch at us if you can't get your card working right. If you don't like it, well then don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. We won't miss you.

Personally, I was stumped, because I thought for sure you would have searched the archives. I solved the same problem for somebody else a few months ago.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Right, I was going to post a reply earlier, but I was busy at work and just plain forgot, ( i also wanted to get my new G550 working under linux first).

Mozai you need to learn to put a little more info into your posts, items such as:-
        distro,
        version of distro
        Kernel version,
        X version, (which you did, but this list is for all)

thanks for telling us what your problem was...

Colin.
        (and please don't take offence )
        You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

Working...
        X