XFree v4.1.0, PowerDesk & G400MAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFree v4.1.0, PowerDesk & G400MAX

I'm setting up a new installation of RedHat v7.2 and have a few minor display-related problems.

Software: XFree86 v4.1.0 + PowerDesk v1.00.7 + MGA drivers v1.4.3.

Hardware: G400MAX (latest firmware) on a SMP P3 box.

Ok, here we go:

1. I seem unable to change the refresh rate. The PowerDesk doc makes mention of changing this rate, but I see no place to do it in PowerDesk itself. Using this software above, I am stuck at 75Hz. This is in contrast to Win2K where I am running the same hardware (G400MAX + Viewsonic G790 monitor) at the same resolution at 85Hz. How can I change the refresh rate in XFree86?

2. How to set APG 2x mode? I am running at 1x by default on a m/b that supports 2x. In XFree86 v4.0 I used the config "Option "AGPMode2x"" in the Device section of the config file. XFree86 v4.1 complains about this option, though, and leaves the AGP mode unchanged. How can I set AGP 2x mode?

3. Not a problem, but a question: what the heck is Xinerama? There's an option to enable it in PowerDesk (disabled by default). Do I want to enable this? What does it do?

4. Another question: should I rebuild the MGA drivers? I installed the current binaries from Matrox's website. Given that I am running them on a P3, would I be better off patching the XFree86 source with Matrox's updated code and rebuilding with CPU-specific code generation?

Thanks.

1. Edit the values manually in XF86Config-4, look for an option in the monitor section called VertRefresh

2. Use 'Option "AGPMode" "2"' for XF410.

3. Xinerama gives you a spanned desktop for multi headed cards. On a G400 you need to configure the card for dual head for it work.

4. Not really needed unless you want a cpu specific driver

Druid1

Comment

Power desk will create a ModeLine for a given refresh rate (and screen position and so on) that you specify in the GUI and add it to the "Monitor" section of XF86Config. At that point, I went in and chose that newly created mode in my "Screen" section of XF86Config. Worked for me with 4.0.3, haven't tries the latest driver so YMMV.

-Rahul
      Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
      Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

Working...
      X