KDE Prolem with XMMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Prolem with XMMS

Just recently installed Mandrake 8.1. Found an interesting bug in the software manager, but I was able to work around it.

Except for the first time I tried it. XMMS does not start up when I start it from inside the Multimedia menu. XMMS appears on the bar below, but it disappears seconds later. I can double-click on the file in //usr/bin, use a link, etc . . . , but i just won't work from the menu even after uninstalling and reinstalling all the XMMS RPMs.

Anyone got a clue?

Although i am using Gnome, the chances are good that it is the same as a quite common problem under Gnome. Probably the menu symlink is heading to the desktop environment folder and trying to link to another symlink. And this usually doesn't work. Check this by entering the properties of the link. The command should of course link to //usr/bin/xmms binary.

I hope this solves the problem. Regards

Comment

Use the menu editor

Go to K->Configure Panel->Menu Editor, and fix the XMMS menu entry to point to the XMMS binary correctly.

-Rahul
      Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
      Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

Got it. Thanks.

I have already tried that for both "root" and "system". For each of them I have set the menu style to "Follow system administrator settings", "Mandrake menu", "Task oriented menu", and "Standard menu" while removing Xmms from the menus and nothing happens even after complete reboots. This is using "MenuDrake".

At least I thought I did that. Hehe. The menu editor buttons was activating "MenuDrake" and not the "KDE Menu Editor" which does effect the menu.

I have not had this much fun with an OS since I started messing with my Commodore 64 and Amiga 500 (Workbench 1.3) many, many moons ago. Woohoo!

Comment

Working...
        X