Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is some one pulling my chain.. Lindows??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is some one pulling my chain.. Lindows??

See the link below.

paulw

It's real.

Comment

This is one of a number of such claims. As far as I'm aware, WINE is the most advanced and will support close on 400 Windows apps in Linux, see

Open Source Software for running Windows applications on other operating systems.

and is available now, free of charge. At one time, before they hived off Linux development (was this when Microsoft bought into them? ), Corel invested heavily into WINE, thinking that they would be able to run all their apps in Linux without writing a line of new code. I haven't had time to try it myself, but I've heard mixed reports from those who have.

My guess is that a Johnny-come-lately is not likely to be able to do better than hundreds of WINE developers who have been working on it for 8 or 9 years - and admit that there are still many problems. I would therefore exhibit a certain restraint on undue enthusiasm for Lindows until it proves itself. After all, remember all WIN apps will not run on all versions of WIN, so how do expect them to run universally under Linux?
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Ahhh, the good ol'OS wars still exist.

I remember the days when IBM was trying to convince people they need OS/2 to run Windows apps. Still, it certainly ran DOS apps way better than MS-DOS. REXX was also a pretty nice addition.

Anyone for MVS vs Unix?

Comment

Lindows is WINE

Lindows is based on WINE, but tested and nicely packaged, so if you don't mind using some time you can do the same for free with WINE.

First post, having lurked 3 years (since the TIGRR days), I guess it's about time...

Comment

Sounds like it will have the ultra-stability of the famed Win9x series, the ease of advanced setup and configuration of all the major Linux distros, and the wide software support of BeOS and Mac, etc. etc.

Sorry if I sound a little cynical.

However, should it come out and actually be as good as it is touted, then I stand corrected.
            P=I^2*R
            Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Working...
            X