ProFTPD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProFTPD

Anyone using ProFTPD? I have it installed under Mandrake 8.1 but cannot get normal users to log in, I can setup anonymous access just fine. Any attempted login by a normal user results in 530: Login incorrect.

It's probably PAM being too restrictive about who can get on how.

Follow this: http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3.../10/0/4580670/
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Tried that, still can't get in

Comment

Did you restart your inet daemons? I'm pretty sure PAM keeps its old behavior until you restart it.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I thought I had I'll try again...

Comment

I've restarted them, even completely rebooted the system and the damn thing still won't let me in, I'm going back to Windoze...

Comment

I removed ProFTPD and installed Pure-FTP and it works perfectly.

Comment

um, proftpd is a bit of a stickler for correct logins,

if you want a basic config which allows everyone a shared root, just give me a shout.

C
                You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

ProFTPD

When i tried it under Mandrake 8.1, the Xinet.d scripts seemed to be screwed. IWhen i stopped it, and edited the config to run as a daemon, then ran it just launching the proftpd command it worked fine after that. Could be an issue with xinetd if you are using it (still haven't figured out what is wrong with tho ).

Druid1

Comment

I would advise not using inetd, (or any derivatives) I've found standalone to be much easier to debug, and more recommended from a security point of view.

C

Comment

Colin I would appreciate a working config to try, I'd still prefer to get to the bottom of it rather than just sidestep the issue

Comment

o.k., np, first thing to check though, is that all users have vaild logins, (ie can you ssh or telnet in without errors).

I'll post the config to you later, right now its time to talk to dabs about getting my dvd drive swapped out.

Colin

Comment

o.k. ant, here's the config, (sorry for the long post,)
                          # This is a basic ProFTPD configuration file (rename it to
                          # 'proftpd.conf' for actual use. It establishes a single server
                          # and a single anonymous login. It assumes that you have a user/group
                          # "nobody" and "ftp" for normal operation and anon.

ServerName "Private ftp, bugger off."
                          ServerType standalone
                          DefaultServer on
                          ServerIdent Off

# Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
                          Port 21
                          # Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
                          # from being group and world writable.
                          Umask 022

# To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes
                          # to 30. If you need to allow more than 30 concurrent connections
                          # at once, simply increase this value. Note that this ONLY works
                          # in standalone mode, in inetd mode you should use an inetd server
                          # that allows you to limit maximum number of processes per service
                          # (such as xinetd)
                          MaxInstances 10

# Set the user and group that the server normally runs at.
                          User nobody
                          Group nobody

# To allow FXP we can set this
                          AllowForeignAddress on
                          #log to proftpd.log
                          ExtendedLog /var/log/proftpd all

# Normally, we want files to be overwriteable.
                          <Directory /data/ftpd/*>
                          AllowOverwrite on
                          <Limit WRITE>
                          Deny All
                          </Limit>
                          </Directory>
                          <Directory /home/*>
                          AllowOverwrite on
                          <Limit WRITE>
                          Allow All
                          </Limit>
                          </Directory>
                          DefaultRoot /data/ftpd/ ftp,!ant
                          things to note, this config is about 1 step up from basic, and it has a little more logging which you may want to trim down if you're running a busy server.

if you want more help, just say what you want your users to do,.. think of it as my way of giving back to you for the many years hard work you've put into this site

Colin

Comment

Working...
                          X