Sound card based on C-Media chip...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound card based on C-Media chip...?

Does anyone know if C-Media 8738-6CH based sound cards come close to the TB Santa Cruz in terms of sound quality? How about in terms of memory hogging, etc?

I am planning on purchasing a Zoltrix Nightingale PRO6 with optical kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1288446361
    I'd like to stick with my Santa Cruz, but I need optical input to transfer my recordings.

The price tag of this card has me weary, but reviews I have read seem promising. (And its not much cheaper than the Santa Cruz I bought)

thanks
    WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
    Pentium 4 1.7 Abit TH7II-RAID
    HD (boot): Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60GB
    HD (RAID-0): WD WD400BB 80GB (2x40GB)
    Kingston 256MB 800MHZ RDRAM
    ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
    Hauppauge Wintv #401
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

There are cards such as the Hercules Fortissimo 2 (which has optical OUTput) and the Game Theater (which actually works with the new drivers) and the Terratec DMXFire which are based on the Crystal chipset and have optical.

Non-crystal chipsets that aren't made by Creative Labs? That's a mixed bag. If their drivers are ok, they should be fine as a secondary card (i.e. to do those optical transfers). If I were you, I'd just get an Audigy Platinum and be done with the Crystal crapware anyhow.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
      Non-crystal chipsets that aren't made by Creative Labs? That's a mixed bag. If their drivers are ok, they should be fine as a secondary card (i.e. to do those optical transfers). If I were you, I'd just get an Audigy Platinum and be done with the Crystal crapware anyhow.

- Gurm
      I'm really stuck on my sound card choice. I'm considering the Audigy, but I'm not sure if it samples everything up to 48kHz like the Live! does.

I will probably go with a secondary card like you said, but I just found out the Zoltrix card I mentioned hasn't had a driver update since April. Maybe I'll just get a dedicated digital i/o card.

thanks for the info.
      WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
      ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
      Hauppauge Wintv #401
      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

There is some debate about the Audigy's internal sampling rates vs. external rates. It's "better" than the Live!, not that that's saying much. Check out the discussion on the 3D Sound Surge boards:

(Click 'forums' for discussion!)

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          http://www.3dsoundsurge.com
          (Click 'forums' for discussion!)
          - Gurm

The "One man's test..." Audigy thread answers a lot of questions I had about the card.
          Thanks!
          WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
          ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
          Hauppauge Wintv #401
          Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

Working...
          X