X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is Matrox up to .... get the <facts>

Hello everyone,

Its been a while that I haven't checked this board
    Last night I had a phone conversion with a friend of mine who works at Matrox and I though I ask some stuff about all the romours around.

1) Matrox is NOT going out of business: He found it very interesting that people really believe that M is packing its bag. Matrox has not laid off anyone recently, however they are not hiring and they do not try to fill any vacant positions and he said thats a major factor beside the current market that M is not aggresive. Basically their R&D team is shrinking more and more.

2) McDonalld and Matrox ????!!!!! He told me that Matrox has signed a big contract with McDonalld to sell them G550. First thing I said was WHAT !!! No , no no , McD. is not adding internet cafe However, they will be replacing their Menu signs with 6 Flat panel Displays and will use 3 G550 and its dual DVI feature to run those Flat Panels. Pretty cool I guess. As far as I know that is only for US. So for you guyz in England and Germany, you still have to order from those cranky plastic signs. While we order our BigMac from a FlatPanel which brings out the flavour with its high quality color display "POWERED BY MATROX".....

3) On going Projects: He told me that Matrox is working on 2 major projects right now. In Montreal they are working on the Mysterious next generation chip and in Toronto and somewhere in US they are working on its follower. He didn't know much about the next chip that will follow later on but he said they already have a prototype of the Matrox next gen chip and are working on its next revision that MIGHT go out the door. He wasn't really sure what the management is up to and what is going to happen but he didn't think they would release it before Christmass.

So there you go for those people in doubt, Matrox has a new design ready for release but they are not trying too hard to release it. I tried asking him about the size and some spec but he didn't really wanna say anthing. He is a very loyal employee As far as the name goes, they call the design Paheelia internally or something like that but he said he doesn't think its name is going to be G800 or G1000 as the romours imply. by the way forget about Direcx8 , matrox new chip will be partially directx9 compatible if it ever comes out!

PS. When was the last time you smell your feet?

-SmellYfeeT
    -<= Its all about point of view ....
    =>-

This, if true, is very comforting. And they probably call it Parhelia.

Comment

the photo from your parhelia - links looks very similar to the matrox-logo...

mfg
      wulfman
      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
      "Lobsters?"
      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

DX9...yeap - I smell the displacement maps.

Comment

SmellYaFeet - thanks for the info !

MK
          <font size="1">
          Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
          ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
          Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
          2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
          256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
          Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
          ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
          Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
          Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
          Plustek Optic Pro U12B
          HP Deskjet 959C
          Plantronics LS1 Headset
          all on W2k Professional SP2
          </font>

Comment

Thanks SmellYaFeet for the usefull info.
            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

i dont think that we should get too exited about this news.
              after all it may just be the next generation of the g550 that they are working on.
              dont get me wrong i want to see a high end board from big M as much as the rest of you its just that i am so used to being dissapointed by them that i find it hard to take these claims seriously. i remember that this time last year i was waiting for the g800 which never arrived.
              i cant help thinking that this time next year we'll all be speculating about a next gen board after matrox release their g650 with the pathetic addition of something like bodycasting.
              looks like a radeon 7500 for me then if matrox do release something (fingers crossed) i will have enough penies to buy it.
              is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
              Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Borat, in most circumstances i would assume that they wouldnt make the same mistake again. However the part that does worry me from smelly's post is the bit about their diminishing R&D team. You cant design these chips with a skeleton crew.

regards MD
                Interests include:
                Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Would you like fries with that g800 ?

well , think the market right now is dangerous , they're playing it safe i guess ..
                  :::muted:::

Comment

at lastr some news that matrox is actually doing something!!!

i am intrigued by the dx9 statement, this could be a big gaming feature, but it could also be an extension of the 'headcasting' engine

however i am glad to see they are working on 2 new chips- six moth cycle anyone???
                    Dell Inspiron 8200
                    Pentium4m 1.6
                    640mb pc2100
                    64mb gf440go
                    15" uxga ultrasharp
                    40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

yeah dx9 would be nice but the g550 partially supports dx8 through its headcasting features which are nigh on useless
                      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

I sure hope that alot of people in Matrox knew about the MacDonald's deal or else your source will be toast. They may even accuse your source of being Casey.

SwAmPy
                        SwAmPy

Comment

Who's your source the PR guy!? People have been laid off.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Aidan_Pryde
                            DX9...yeap - I smell the displacement maps.
                            Any matrox chips do displacement mapping? and what is it exactly i forgot

I found this on the Meltdown 2001 web site

(ms dev conference for dx9)

SESSION 5
                            Displacement Maps As A New Geometric Primitive -- Matrox_Displacement.ppt (1130KB)
                            Speaker: Juan Guardado - Matrox Corporation

Dominic Sharoo
                            NitroWare webmaster/technical editor
                            http://www.nitroware.net

Mod/Guru @ 3DSS Forums
                            http://www.3dss-forums.com

On the review test bench
                            -Matrox Millenium P750
                            -SB Audigy ZS Platinum Pro
                            -Other nifty stuff
                            -A decent website

Comment