No announcement yet.

What exactly is Matrox up to .... get the <facts>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No chip on the market does displacement mapping, I'm 99.99% sure that Matrox's next *real* chip will feature it.

Comment

well you can dismiss the .1 because a matrox 3d engineer presented displacement mapping and thus they DO have it in their new GPU, its just an issue of thaty they will be up against s3, PowerVR, nvidia, ati and also if the gpu is has a limited set of caps ie a la g550 it will not be very appealing

their whole current family of chips dont do te following, and im afraid their future products will follow the 'unified' model and still have limited hw and sw feature set

*no overlay adjust in driver
      *no adv 3d or video controls in driver
      *complete lack of any MPEG2 assist (wheter or not it is usefull for pic qual is beside the point)
      *poor multitexturing at the moment
      *their regieme regarding driver features/updates/bugs
      completely different to the others
      *very fixed performance, not very dynamic (ie crap perf on 1.0 systems and above)
      Dominic Sharoo
      NitroWare webmaster/technical editor
      http://www.nitroware.net

Mod/Guru @ 3DSS Forums
      http://www.3dss-forums.com

On the review test bench
      -Matrox Millenium P750
      -SB Audigy ZS Platinum Pro
      -Other nifty stuff
      -A decent website

Comment

Hello KngtRider
        Just a question. How can you be certain that Matrox's next part will be as limited as you believe it to be?

regards MD
        Last edited by mdhome; 1 November 2001, 01:17.
        Interests include:
        Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

i dont know it will be

bad wording on my part, take it as 'i hope not', sorry
          Dominic Sharoo
          NitroWare webmaster/technical editor
          http://www.nitroware.net

Mod/Guru @ 3DSS Forums
          http://www.3dss-forums.com

On the review test bench
          -Matrox Millenium P750
          -SB Audigy ZS Platinum Pro
          -Other nifty stuff
          -A decent website

Comment

I followed some links from 3dcenter.de and found the following:

?Matrox Graphics is pleased to be working with Termite Games and Project Three Interactive in insuring that our hardware is fully compatible with New World Order,? says Mike Drummelsmith, developer relations manager, Matrox Graphics. ?The visual effects in New World Order are simply stunning and, when paired with Matrox?s trademark image quality, result in an action packed gaming experience.?
            If you look at the techdemo - is the g550 capable of that???

Looks like matrox is more interested in gamers than they say...

mfg
            wulfman
            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
            "Lobsters?"
            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I dunno how much water this holds.....I remember in the the G550/G800 days there was a delevoper who was working with matrox making up a Kung Fu fighting game based off the Unreal engine...I haven't heard anything in ages about the project. I think If you do a search in the Hardware forums you can find something about it....it was pre Crystal Ball days.

Scott
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

wasn´t that kong fu game supposed to use matrix skinning, it was before we heard about displacement mapping IIRC
                This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

I sure hope that alot of people in Matrox knew about the MacDonald's deal or else your source will be toast. They may even accuse your source of being Casey.
                  For a sec. you got me worried there, cause if anything happens to him I would be dead in no time but this is not a recent news I heard about this from one of my coworkers during the summer, I think it was originally leaked out on a stock message board on McDonnald long time ago but there was no reference to Matrox!? so now we know who the supplier is I wonder if the deal is still up or the downturn in economy scrapped it all...
                  I was surprised that Ant posted the message on the front page since it really does not contain any useful information except for a promise! well, I know some other stuff that I really don't think is appropriate to post publicly since it might put Nvidia and ATI at an advantage point which we don't want , right! but I can tell you if Matrox can continue to deliver traditional stable drivers for their gaming card, it will be a big seller. However, the management is playing it smart and they don't want to do what 3dfx did before they bailed out! which means don't put a product on the market if you can gues will not sell!
                  -<= Its all about point of view ....
                  =>-

Comment

Any news is news when dealing with the tight lipped Canadians, and you did state they were "facts"

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
                      tight lipped Canadians
                      No comment.

Comment

According to Reactor Critical, Matrox has followed ATI in selling chips to other manufacurers. This may be what we can expect from them in the future.
                        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Yeah, there was also some guy who posted here claiming his company was "almost done" with the G800 techdemo and that was probably a year ago, or more.

Comment

Re: McDonalds

Not sure whats driving them here (Japan) but some of the McD's are using the flat pannel displays here already - at least the last 6 months or so

Dan
                            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

so they have video advertisement and stuff on those flat panels or is it still static text and graphics!
                              -<= Its all about point of view ....
                              =>-

Comment

Advertisments, mini adds. this is the breakfast menu wouldn't you really like a hash brown etc. Pretty cool actually.
                                Half the pannels or so keep the menu up (second head??) the panel that they put the current special up on on a static display becomes a rotating advert, however its animated

Dan
                                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                                X